Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Friday1961

Default Question about SITD and straight line quilting...

What is the proper or accepted procedure for STID or straight line quilting on a DSM? I've done some of this on small projects--mug rugs, wall hangings, placemats, etc., but have never resolved in my mind the correct way to do it. Now I'm getting ready to quilt a throw size quilt--a gift for my son and DIL-- on my new Brother Innov'is 450Q machine and here's my question:

When using SITD, is it correct to stitch all around the piece you're quilting, as in sew, turn, sew, turn, back to your starting place without crossing a seam line? Or is it considered permissable to straight line quilt --still in the ditch--which means crossing seam lines of pieces and blocks? Is that clear as mud? The first means a lot more stops and starts; the second is quicker, naturally. I suppose it's obvious that I'm a self taught piecer and quilter. Have sewn for many years but have been quiltmaking only about 3 of those.

I'm not long on patience but this is a special project and I want to do it the right way. I'll appreciate input from all those who know!

Thanks!