Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Foxflower

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I'm so glad you took that post the way you did. Sometimes people are offended if you insult the place where they live. I know the scenery is beautiful, almost breathtaking there. It always took my breath away when we came over that ridge and saw the bottom of the valley. I actually thought of living there for a moment. But now I am glad I live where I do. Surrounded by Amish and most of them are quilters. All we ever do is have fun.

Tater Patch Quilts.....been there!!!!! when I was back visiting the folks. Owned by two women. Very helpful. Bought a pattern I still haven't made. My main addictions it to patterns. Tom Palmer's widow had something to do with a quilt shop there. Is she one of the owners?? I'm getting so old I am forgetful.

For all you other wonderful quilters out there that may wonder about Foxflower's mentality, in Modoc County, CA there are more DEAD rattlesnakes on the goat trails than there are people in the county. (And I'm just counting the dead ones.) The music is provided by packs of coyotes running in the hills overhead as they chase the jack rabbits and pheasants. The smells are the algae on the alkali lakes and flats. There really is a wild, wild West still out there and Foxflower lives in the middle of it.

Save the 2nd ammendment. You are gonna need a carbine if you go there.

Marcia
Marcia, you have a way of stating the truth in a comical way. We are often serendaded by the coyotes and by the dogs reacting to them. Wildlife abounds. In the last week we have stopped to observe a badger and a rabbit...not at the same time. This morning I spotted 2 bald eagles and a large hawk sitting around or eating a squirrel. Mule deer are everywhere. Thankfully it has been quite sometime since I have seen a rattlesnake. They don't seem to be awake yet. It is beautiful this time of year with the fruit trees in bloom and the hay crops sprouting. The isolation is both a blessing and a curse, of course. I can actually think of a few places more isolated......how about Christmas Valley, OR and the 2 or so "towns"on the way there, or Adele, Or, Vya, NV or Gerlach, NV. Then there's Wagonwheel, OR. So, it could be worse.

The two ladies who own Tater Patch are Robin and Diane. I don't know their last names.

Going to "town" yesterday with my husband meant, and necessarily so, spending all our time between farm supply stores, home depot, and the grocery store. The amount of money spent in those places on necessities reminds me how much I need keep fabric spending in control. It is also nice to know that we are spending money on getting more home space, which may eventually mean an actual dedicated sewing space, or at least more storage. In a way, I am "building" my stash. Its just a stash for the stash.