Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Hello, my name is Foxflower, and I'm a fabriholic. This isn't probably the best place to ask for help though.

Seriously, I'm totally out of room, don't need anymore, but still buy it. I've gone on fabric diets before and I use scraps and fabric given to me. I need to use the money for other things.

Is anybody with me on this? Have you found anything that cuts down on your purchases?

One of my downfalls I think is email subscriptions to websites selling fabric. Soooooo, as a first step, I'm going to unsubrscribe from email from fabric stores. If I need them I'll know where to go. If I don't need frabric then I don't need a discount code, right?

Any other suggestions.....?????
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Hi, My name is Nancy and I am a fabricaholic. I actually was excited to join a birthday club where we send each other fat quarters, cause it gave me an excuse to run to the LQS.......I can't offer any help, so....wanna share those websites LMAO
    ​Nancy

The only things that have stopped me are 1) being unable to walk, and 2) not having money. God help me if I ever learn to shop on the web. I have bought a few things that way, but very few. I really like being able to touch the fabrics before buying.

I need to use up what is in the house before buying more.

Nancy, if you really want the websites, I'll PM them to you. If I send them to you will that get rid of them for me? My kids once asked me that about colds. They thought if they gave them to someone else they wouldn't have them anymore

Charsue, I'm trying to avoid loosing mobility and money. Definitely avoid the web stores. I don't live near any LQSs, so I'm fairly safe from that. The only local store that sells fabric has less than 50 bolts to choose from I think, and not all quilting appropriate -- not that it didn't stop me from buying some things that were an awsome deal. Some of it I actually needed (the dog is sleeping on it right now).
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

YES!! My son has been using my car for the past 3 weeks. No fabric stores within walking distance. If you don't go anywhere, you can't spend $$. (That is, IF you stay off the websites that sell things!) When you feel you need a fix, go to YOUR store (your stash). Find a pattern you like and "shop" at "your" store and you will get your fix without putting out more $$. I realized that I needed the "fix" more that I needed the actual fabric. And I found fabric I did not know I had, or remember buying. That is definitely an addiction!

Blog Entries
    my cure, im sure you don't want to hear this, I bought an embroidery machine, now I spend money there, not on fabrics. well, you asked

You don't have a problem but you have a blessing. Think of ALL THAT FABRIC > Make a few give away quilts. Youmust give to make room for NEW FABRIC . Hugs

Yup, definitely an addiction, and I agree with you on the "fix" part. I don't go anywhere for fabric much....the internet is my problem mostly. I just unsubscribed from websites, and still need to do a couple more. It's harder than it seems it would be. I enjoy looking at the pictures on one of them each week so much.

I do love the fabric, and I definitely give away projects, and swap too (hi Lynnie). I still need to avoid buying more.

Blog Entries
    We do currently have a Fabric Moritorium challenge going on. You are more than welcome to join, although someone posted that "I think we are walking a fine line between a moratorium and a group of enablers"!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...m-t209802.html
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Oh, this is such a good laugh! Thanks! I, too, am a fabriholic...to a point. I'm kept busy with work, children and regular day to day stuff. Luckily I work 12 hour days, so by the time I'm driving past one of the LQS on my way home from work, they're already closed. I'm trying to be good. If I get in the mood to 'just look' I go to JoAnn's. I'm a touchy-feely kind of person. If I touch and feel the poorer quality fabric there, I'm good and I won't buy anything. I do not look at the quilter's quality fabric...or I may find something. I do have quite the stash, but I have a smidge more room, if I really wanted to buy something. Usually I just buy when I go on shop hops. Did I mention I LOVE shop hops! Good luck with your quest to decrease your fabric purchases. Maybe just touch the poor quality fabric!
    Go forth and sew!

I went on the fabric wagon in 2001 so know it can be done. It was harder than quitting smoking I think. Not as hard as losing weight
    I don't read the moratorium thread, too much wink wink going on.

I'm gonna go look....sounds like a good idea. Thanks Paper Princess.

Maybe this is really and internet addiction more than anything, or a chore phobia......

Blog Entries
    I too am a fabrocholic. If I didn't buy any more fabric for the next 10 years
    and made a queen size quilt top every week for those 10 years I still don't
    think I would run out of fabric.

What has been my BIGGEST down fall is the LQS that I go too. They buy
    and resale fabric from customers by the pound.

Their pricing structure is:

LQS quality: $5.00/yd
    CS quality: $1.99/yd
    FQ's LQS quality: $1.50 each
    FQ's CS quality: .50 each
    F8's: .85 each
    Zippers (20+ colors, 12" long): .99 each

They also have a wide variety of buttons, and yarn (which I never buy).

(CS quality is chain store like Joann's, Hobby Lobby, etc...)

So with that said can you see why I have a problem with buying fabric?
    I totally understand the need to stop buying though.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    It helped me to take stock of what I had and put everything away. I realized the insanity that is my sewing room so I decided that I needed to seriously curtail my fabric shopping. Now I try to limit purchases to items that support an ongoing project, or something I truly "just gotta have" AND I make myself shop from the stash for all new projects. It has worked - sort of. If you read the moratorium thread, you'll find me having fallen off the wagon a time or two. In general, I can say that the approach works. I actually don't feel bad when I buy something now because I know that I thought about it.

Next weekend, I'm going to a quilt show and I know that I will buy a fabric package - but it is to gift to a quilty friend in Germany. That way I get to feed the beast without actually keeping the goods.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

madquilter, sounds like sensible advice....except I already have things "put away" but dónt have anymore space. And, I refuse to put it under my mattress.

We have a small house, 2 small children and lots of animals, so I have to control the fabric! (No sewing room available).

Kalamaquilts.....thanks for letting me know it can be done. So, if I can control my fabric maybe I can lose some weight too....Less time shopping for fabric on the internet might help with that!

Orangeroom.....I don't have that much control. If I'm in JoAnns something is going out the door with me for sure. Being busy with kids helps some, but they love fabric too!!!! Little enablers. Its hard to resist a 4 year old pointing and saying he NEEDS it for his farm quilt and an 8 year old planning her projects.

I love looking in various shops. I have a very nice shop close by (it's my go to LQS) and many others within a nice driving distance so it really isn't my fault. Oh, and Lancaster is only 2ish hours away and I go there several times a year. I'll never be able to use all my fabric, yet I still buy more. I don't shop on line because I love to shop in person so much.

I am also in the fabric moratorium..accountability helps us keep a rein on spending...There is also a stash busters challenge on the board. This will encourage you to use the stash you have

I too, am a fabriholic. I have joined the moratorium and it does help. However, I still have to purchase fabric to finish UFO's and special projects for people. It has slowed my fabric spending wamy down. Alcoholics say " I can quit any time I want to. Fabriholics say " I am not going to buy another piece of fabric until I sew up what I have on hand." I don't think it would be ten years, but I bet I could sew another 3 years on a regular basis, and still have enough fabric.

I actually use stash a lot. Much of it was given to me so I don't have much attachment to it. It is easy to cut into stash fabric, sew it up, and give it away. I buy fabric against my better judgement because I adore it and want it for myself. Therefore, I'm not as interested in using it and giving it away. Át the same time, I'm usually making something for someone else. I use fabric I buy also, that was for use in something else or because I didn't have enough of a color. And I use scraps.

Hopefully, staying a way from websites will greatly reduce my expenditures.

I enjoy my addiction and have no desire to quit. I think they call that, denial?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
    I too, am a fabriholic. I have joined the moratorium and it does help. However, I still have to purchase fabric to finish UFO's and special projects for people. It has slowed my fabric spending wamy down. Alcoholics say " I can quit any time I want to. Fabriholics say " I am not going to buy another piece of fabric until I sew up what I have on hand." I don't think it would be ten years, but I bet I could sew another 3 years on a regular basis, and still have enough fabric.
    Well, I'm not willing to say I won't buy anymore fabric until my stash is used up. I am willing to commit to reduced spending, a moratorium, or something more obtainable. Maybe what I need is a strict budget. After all, the fabric won't kill me unless I stack it too high and it falls on me or something.

I think in the last few months I have become a fabricaholic. I have made many online purchases to build up stash to make quilts for kids in need. No idea when I'll get around to making the quilts, but hey most of the fabric will be in the closet. I think maybe I went a little crazy to ward of the winter blues, but it sure was fun!

I think joining a recovery group infers that I want to recover and I can't say that I do. lol
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast