View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Please, I cannot emphasize this enough, do not jump into this without first doing your research. The top of the line may not be the right machine to you. What the dealier touts as top of the line may not be what you consider top of the line. Everyone has different opinions on LA machines. The prices you are talking is a large throat machine and at $25K sounds like you may be looking at a computer operated setup as well.

I urge you to go to a major machine quilting show like one of the MQX shows or Houston or any of the biggies where there will be many vendors of the LA machines so you can try them all. You may find you prefer the lighter weight of a mid arm (18") machine or a different brand. Also take into consideration the frame setup. Some LA have rollers you have to adjust constantly to allow for the growing quilt sandwich. Others, like mine, has a dead bar so I don't have to ever adjust. Also do not think you can set it up and take off. LA machines have a huge learning curve, even the computer guided setups. Please do your homework so you will have absolutely NO regrets on the decision you make.