Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I, or shouldn't I? >

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM

Go to the Houston Quilt show with DH and check out the Innova!
No oil leaks, 24-7 phone service, all the add ons you could want.
About 75 years in the commercial business of quilt machines.
Their support group are the best.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 AM

He gave his blessing. Get what you want. Don't over think this. Want "new"...get new!

what are his hobbies??
sandy
Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Each one of us is getting older everyday, statement. Would the machine be an advantage in the future .? At present yo are able to find classes and I prove your skill. Is a second hand one what you want or would you prefer new. If I was offered I personally would say yes but let's look for a new machine as I feel I would love to use it and have a wonderful time. Making money on it. No way I keep my quilts I would hate to sell them but at 20 I loved to wear a mini skirt now I prefer a skirt to my ankles.we change our thinking as time goes by. I also think if pushing and pulling on a small domestic machine will it be too much in 10 -20 years.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 AM

If I had the money and the room for one - I am sure that I would do it. Quilting is an expensive hobby all of the time... the money I spend on fabric alone flabbergasts me. I will never get my money's worth out of my fabric. But I make the quilts because there's something inside me that has to get out... and quilting helps me do that. Then its nice when I give them as gifts.

I agree... its your money.. if men want their toys and buy them, why can't we buy our toys???
Old 09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

If you like the idea of having a quilting machine then buy one. You don't have to use it everyday or non at all. I never think how much will I use this if I buy it. I buy because I want it. It's so nice to be at the age of no kids at home and no debt so go for it.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 PM

You have said this so well. These are my reasons as well. I think women are not used to buying expensive toys; men are. I am planning to start small with a used Inspira frame and Pfaff machine. I have done FMQ on my Bernina 750 quilters edition which I love. Am wondering if I will find using a frame a help or hindrance, will I be able to do it?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 AM

There's more to consider when justifying a quilter than the direct costs of sending the labor out instead. You would have 100% control of your quilts and you would be able to get them done in your own time frame. That can be good and bad. Longarming is a labor intensive effort and it can be frustrating sometimes. The learning curve to being excellent at it is HIGH. Make sure you will enjoy it before spending so much for it. I saw a post on some board talking about how so many people have longarms just sitting in their basement that they never used. They thought it was such a good idea, now they have to eat much of the cost to sell it so it sits.

The top of the line isn't necessarily the top of your line. And the $15,000 machine may not be right for you either. Shop around, as other people have said. There's a show in Salt Lake City in May and another in New Hampshire in April.

The mechanical aspects of quilting machines live on forever, if you oil and clean the machine well. It's the computers that die, because they seem to frequently have extra cheap circuitry, so be careful about that, especially when considering used. (And I am not a computer-phobe. I work in IT).

I have a 30 inch Gammill longarm, all mechanical, that I bought used in 1994 for $3000, and it's still a gem. The frame is amazing. All of the mechanics are exposed so there is no mystery, no sending it in to some factory for a mysterious "spa treatment". I know exactly how it works and do all maintenance myself...and the maintenance is small since I only do my quilts.

Owning a longarm for yourself is a JOY. You just need to go in with your eyes open.