Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I, or shouldn't I? >

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Live dangerously and get the new one, enjoy, that is what life is for.

I say when in doubt give in to temptation.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
If you don't want to quilt for others perhaps you can either rent out time or offer the local quilt guild time on it for their charity quilts or even their own quilts. That would make you feel like you were getting your money's worth from it.
I agree with bjchad. Rental is a great way to go, if possible - see if there is a LQS with a rental machine near you. You will probably have to take lessons to learn the machine and, of course, pay the hourly rate, but then you quilt what you want and not have to worry about when it will be returned to you. You also don't have to worry about space or maintenance.

I enjoyed being able to rent, since I like to do mine start to finish. If you decide to buy, try the used one and see if you like it. Since it is an investment, even if you don't want a business, you need to enjoy using the machine and they all feel different.

I was fortunate to have both room and money to get my choice of longarm (Innova 26"), which I selected after learning on a Nolting, using a Gammill (neither of which had a stitch regulator), and then testing a Tin Lizzie and a HandiQuilter.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by caspharm; 05-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 PM

If you decide to buy one, do a lot of research first, figure out which one is the most popular or has the best resale value, so if you do decide to ever sell it, it will be easier to sell and you will the maximum amount of money from the sale. That may put your mind to rest a little, and you will have yourself a back up plan to reduce guilt. I personally think if you will use it and enjoy it and have the money...get one! What a blast playing with it! Whoever inherits it will also be able to enjoy it.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM

I jumped in and bought a Gammill Classic Plus (with the stitch regulator) cold turkey when we drove through MO four or five years ago on our way to Branson--I too have an understanding DH with money to spend as we see fit--and have not regretted it for one moment. I had the experience on a LA though, so my learning curve has not been so bad--this Gammill has the old one beat hands down as far as being user friendly. If you have never used a LA, you might have a bit of a learning curve--get the DH in on the fun, my son loves my LA as much as I do and he had never even used a sewing machine before my Gammill. He does a lot of my quilting now, and even quilts for pay occasionally. He is absolutely wonderful at the stippling game and has made several prize winning quilts. I will never for one moment second guess myself again on the purchase of a sewing machine--and I am really old, and none of my kids want or will want any of my sewing stuff/stash/sewing machines except for sentimental reasons. My DH even built me my own sewing room (16x40) out back because we don't have that much room in our old-timey farm house. He has his own shop building and I have my own sewing room side by side. I love it.

Keep us posted on your decision and the selection process. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM

By holding the 'Ctrl' key and typing the 'b' will either bold your words or unbold. This can be used in many programs. It is a great short cut I learned and use all the time.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM

I had the same dilemma before I bought my TinLizzie. I only quilt for myself, but it has been worth every penny. I love it, it is so much easier getting a quilt on the frame and getting it quilted. I'm learning as I go on it and like the new challenges it brings.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:10 AM

I'm buying one next month. I love pantographs, I'm not artsy so I don't do a lot of freehand. I want to do my own quilts. Only you can decide if its worth the purchase, for me it is.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 AM

After I paid for my quilt to be quilted by someone else, DH decided that it would be more cost effective if I owned my own LA. He did the research and decided that I should have a Gammil Classic Plus. If I would have had to pay to have all the quilts I do quilted by someone else, I payed for the machine in 3 years.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 AM

I would love to be in the position to buy a LA but I think that will never happen. Paycheck to paycheck- someone said this is normal when you have kids.

If you enjoy it - and money is not an issue. Go for it. You can not take your money with you when your time on earth is done- so enjoy it NOW.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 AM

If money is no object. Go for it. Down the road if you don't like it or don't use it that much, you can always sell it, although I don't think that would be a good idea, once you have made the purchase.