View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 AM
An Arm Long

I agree with others, it does not have to pay for itself. It has to be something you really enjoy. I went to the Cincinnati show 2 years ago and tried out all the machines AND the frames they were on. I purchased a Baby Lock Crown Jewel (the same machine as the HQ Avante) and I went to the free 4 day class in St. Louis with Kay Capps Cross. The class was wonderful in showing me everything there is to know about my machine and frame and to give me lots of supervised time on a machine to try out all sorts of patterns and designs. It helped me to get over the frozen hands on the handles phenomenon.
I find that I LOVE the quilting much more than the piecing. I find that I am creative in ways I never knew. In 2 years, I have done 33 quilts and have tried all sorts of things like pantographs, rulers, lots of free motion designs and can now do some without patterns. I chose not to get the computer and am very glad now that I did not.
Longarms are not easy at first and it takes a long time to learn to be smooth with your movements. Get some inexpensive muslin and batting and try to rent a machine to try it out. Allow yourself lots of time to be goofy and to make mistakes.
I have done a few quilts for friends and find that the pressure in doing those is not what I want.
(The class was sooo important for me) I could now get the computer, but don't think I want it.

I wish you the best in your quilting with whatever you decide to do.

Beth