View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 PM
MadCow333

The one I have had the longest is my Featherweight. My aunt and uncle gave it to me in the late 1970s, when I was a kid. It was still in brand new condition at that time. The original sales receipt for it are still in the case with it. My aunt (my mother's sister) was a second wife and she had her own machine. The Featherweight had belonged to my uncle's first wife. She bought the machine brand new but died in a house fire very soon after that. The machine was undamaged, and my uncle had kept the machine for all those years, but I don't think anyone ever used it.

I took the Featherweight to college with me. It lived in my dorm room closet the whole time, just like any ol' $15 thrift shop machine. Nobody even stole it. Probably that was before people developed a renewed interest in quilting and Featherweights. I sewed all kinds of clothes on it for about 4 years, used it and abused it, and then I bought a free arm zig zag machine and didn't use my Featherweight much after that. Then I got it out to use one day, accidentally dropped it, and it fell onto the balance wheel, which bent the main shaft! I bought a replacement shaft, but I had to relocate to a region that lacks a good OSMG that I'd trust to install it. My aunt and uncle are both deceased now.

So, there you have it. I know: It's just a really weird little true story of my low mileage Featherweight. I've had it for 35 or 36 years now? That's hard to believe.