Thread: Genealogy
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 AM
pflum1

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I did a lot of genealogy a few years ago -- my dad's family traces to Gov. William Bradford (2nd governor of the plymouth colony) and Alice Carpenter Southworth. DH has a book that traces his family in Germany back to the 1500's. The book is in German. I got so depressed translating and putting the information in the computer -- there would be 10-12 children, most died young and there was a designation of "Death by Plague". It was horrible. DH said to skip the dead ones, but I felt we should remember them too..
I have been working on my family for years. I did get my mother family back to 1443. She came to America when she was 4 years old, so it has been fun as most of the records were in Germany.
On all the rest of my family, I am back to the early 1500 with the exception of my mother in law. Her name was Phillips and I think everyone had the same name and it's so hard to prove that it's her family.
It's so much easier today with all the computer records, but it's also much easier to get on the wrong line real fast.