Thread: Genealogy
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Nona

Default Researching

Originally Posted by nivosum View Post
Anybody here addicted to genealogy. I started researching family about two years ago and have met some of the nicest relatives. I discovered both sides of my family go back to the 1600's in the USA. Also a lot of history have been learned.
I have been researching my families for 30 plus years. My maiden name family goes back to the 1500's to Cuckfield England. They arrived in the US in 1640. My husband's line goes back to 1200's in Aberdeen Scotland. In 2000 we went to Scotland and found the "Castle". I was expecting at the best a Manse, but to our surprise the first building we saw and were admiring was the stables. The Castle was further down the road and came complete with Turrets. It is currently under restoration under the Scottish Trust and is owned by a surgeon from Aberdeen. We were told that it was a 20 to 30 year restoration. At the time we saw it the family was living in the servants quarters. It had taken them over a year to just stop the leaks in the main part of the house.

The hardest time I have had in finding records has been in Mississippi. I have sent many requests for birth or death certificates and have yet to get one from Mississippi. I am not talking about deaths prior to the 1900's I mean the 1930's and '40's. Genealogy becomes addicting as quilting...and I do both.