Old 05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Lynnerd

I have taught paper-piecing quilting classes and the suggestions of practicing first are essential before you start this project if you purchase the pattern. Niemeyer's quilts are gorgeous but unless you have extra papers in the kit, this is not a first time paper quilting project if you have never done one. The add-a-quarter rulers both in the 6 inch and 12 inch are necessary along with a cardboard piece from the back of a tablet of paper.

I always tell my students in class that it takes about 7 to 9 blocks being finished to know if one will like this method. Also in that first 7 to 9 blocks, one invariably cuts the wrong direction and has to restart that block!! It will happen! Also another ruler to get is the add-an-eighth ruler as that is handy for very small areas, where a smaller edge is left after cutting. Carol Doak has some good books on paper-piecing that one can begin with along with the previous suggestions of searching the Internet for some downloadable free patterns. I hope to do some Niemeyer quilts here in the future as I like the challenge of them. Good luck!