View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
AlaskaAlice

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Good idea if there was a pattern involved! Most (not all) of what I do is seeing a block or a quilt I like and then making something similar or something I envision from seeing a variety of ideas.

Even if I start with a pattern it rarely ends up exactly like the original because I put my own spin to it. I've been doing this with garment patterns, counted cross stitch patterns, crochet and knitting patterns, etc. ever since my college days way back when. (My kids used to call it back in the prehistoric era. ) Lol!
This is the simular to the way I do things.

This is an interesting thread~~~ I have been sewing for many many years.. rarely have I seen a original block that I would say has not been made before by someone in time. Names of the same block are also many! I do not understand how a person can really follow copy write laws and copy write quilt block patterns. There is much history of quilting and quilt blocks, methods of sewing combinations, colors, etc. that reveal the diversity of the art of quilting..
I have books like Mary Ellen Hopkins "It's Ok to set on my quilts" that show how to put together lots of different blocks some with names some without. Also another book on how to look at a quilt and see the different hidden blocks that can be made by combining simple sq.s rectangles. triangles, etc "Hidden Block Quilts" by Lerlene Nevaril.
I do read the threads..sometimes a couple times..find it easy to say the same thing someone else has just written..
maybe the way you say or do things someone will be blessed or find a better way.. Enjoy!