Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: name of pattern used please

name of pattern used please

There have been many pictures of quilts posted and I am sure others would like it also if the name of the pattern and book it was in was also posted with the pictures. Love seeing all the lovely quilts as it gets me back to the machined and sewing

Excellent suggestion!

At least the name of the pattern and I think most ladies do that.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Good idea if there was a pattern involved! Most (not all) of what I do is seeing a block or a quilt I like and then making something similar or something I envision from seeing a variety of ideas.

Even if I start with a pattern it rarely ends up exactly like the original because I put my own spin to it. I've been doing this with garment patterns, counted cross stitch patterns, crochet and knitting patterns, etc. ever since my college days way back when. (My kids used to call it back in the prehistoric era. ) Lol!

That would be great. A very good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by athenascooter View Post
    There have been many pictures of quilts posted and I am sure others would like it also if the name of the pattern and book it was in was also posted with the pictures. Love seeing all the lovely quilts as it gets me back to the machined and sewing
    Half the time it doesn't make any difference if you do post the pattern details. There are always people that don't read what you write anyway.

Sometimes people forget being that we live such busy lives...... If there is a pattern you are very interested in, just ask them by sending them a PM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I make up alot of my quilts. Most are easy to see.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Half the time it doesn't make any difference if you do post the pattern details. There are always people that don't read what you write anyway.
    Exactly. I can't say how many times I've given the information further on down the post (not just once or twice, but at least three times) even when all the details are given with the photo. I really get baffled by it, because when I see a quilt that is interesting or captures my imagination, I want to read everything that has been written about it. I want to know about the quilt from the maker's vantage point.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    since the quilts I make I *make up as I go* there are no patterns to share- very seldom do I use a pattern- I just make quilts- I do name my quilts- and when a (fellow board member) tries to find the pattern by searching the name I gave the quilt sometimes things become --- unpleasant---so I hesitate to share much more than the picture- if I do use a pattern I generally do share that information
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Great idea and if it is their own creation, please state that also. The owner of the quilts that are original designs, could also post whether they give permission to copy all or part of their original design. Great idea.

I vote for that also.

Most people don't bother to read te original post. They come in and maybe read a post before theirs and sometimes even ask a question that has aready been answered. Seem posting and hurrying on is the most important to them.
    I post alot but, I read most of a post.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    90% of posters do that already since it's been asked many times. I tend to make up my own patterns half of the time.

Blog Entries
    today i started to ask the quiltmaker where she found the pattern and stopped myself, went to the original post and there was a link to the creator of the pattern. i did still ask how big her quilt was and if she remembered the yardage. she was very nice and got back to me rather quickly. the originator didn't give that info either, but now i do know approximately how much each block takes so i will figure out rough estimates that way. (i say rough estimates becauae the only math i can do is sale prices. pretty good at that! lol)
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen -

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    Exactly. I can't say how many times I've given the information further on down the post (not just once or twice, but at least three times) even when all the details are given with the photo. I really get baffled by it, because when I see a quilt that is interesting or captures my imagination, I want to read everything that has been written about it. I want to know about the quilt from the maker's vantage point.
    I agree with both scissorqueen and JenniePenny. Frustrating to say the least.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    Sometimes I only have time to skim through a post especially when there are numerous pages but I try not to ask if it's already been answered. Perhaps if we used one of our posting tools and posted the pattern information IN BOLD LETTERS it would be easier to spot?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree!

I never use patterns.

What is equally annoying is to post a picture of something and then have people pm you asking for all the details, like they want a personal tutorial if you didn't use a pattern... how much fabric did you use, how big were your blocks, borders, finished quilt?, etc. I didn't even figure out those things for myself, let alone a stranger! Who has time for this and do we really owe it to others to teach them to make the same quilt?
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know it is a great compliment to have people ask all the pertinent details so they can make the same quilt but sometimes I would think the person who designed the quilt maybe wants it to be her own. Recently a beautiful original quilt was hanging in a LQS - an individual requested that the maker call her with all the pertinent information. I thought that was a little too much. I love seeing all the quilts and will use them for inspiration but really don't want to duplicate it totally. Thanks to all who do post pictures and give as much information as they do. Hopefully the rest of us don't take total advantage of you.

Blog Entries
    Then those folks don't know what they're missing. If a post is worth my attention, I read all of the important details and often subscribe to the thread. Unfortunately, I cannot follow every post that I like ... but I read through the posts and responses to the ones that intrigue me.

Blog Entries
    Looking on the bright side, LOL

If I am reading a thread and really want to answer it, I make note of the post I want to answer, and be sure and read EVERY post after that. If the question has been answered, I won't waste YOUR time by adding another post.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I too love this suggestion.
    TxCaRose

My children call me computor illerate which I am I guess. I have never posted a picture. Really do not have lots yet as I consider myself a beginner yet. Have done a couple of throws with projects from the quilt guild I have joined. When I finish my "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" I will get someone to help post it. I used transferese to put pattern on the material and when soaking in cold water the blue thread bled. I put it aside for months, discouoraged, then tried various things, ending with soaking it in OxiClean. Improved it lots so will continue on it now. Only one of my quilts has a pattern name The others are sampler ones so I can learn different things.
    Thanks for reading my rambling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast