Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
name of pattern used please >

name of pattern used please

name of pattern used please

Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Half the time it doesn't make any difference if you do post the pattern details. There are always people that don't read what you write anyway.
Then those folks don't know what they're missing. If a post is worth my attention, I read all of the important details and often subscribe to the thread. Unfortunately, I cannot follow every post that I like ... but I read through the posts and responses to the ones that intrigue me.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Half the time it doesn't make any difference if you do post the pattern details. There are always people that don't read what you write anyway.
Looking on the bright side, LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 AM

If I am reading a thread and really want to answer it, I make note of the post I want to answer, and be sure and read EVERY post after that. If the question has been answered, I won't waste YOUR time by adding another post.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 AM

I too love this suggestion.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM

My children call me computor illerate which I am I guess. I have never posted a picture. Really do not have lots yet as I consider myself a beginner yet. Have done a couple of throws with projects from the quilt guild I have joined. When I finish my "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" I will get someone to help post it. I used transferese to put pattern on the material and when soaking in cold water the blue thread bled. I put it aside for months, discouoraged, then tried various things, ending with soaking it in OxiClean. Improved it lots so will continue on it now. Only one of my quilts has a pattern name The others are sampler ones so I can learn different things.
Thanks for reading my rambling.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
If I am reading a thread and really want to answer it, I make note of the post I want to answer, and be sure and read EVERY post after that. If the question has been answered, I won't waste YOUR time by adding another post.

That's pretty much what I do too. I read thru the whole thread to see if somebody else has asked the same question I have. I know I get irritated when people ask the same questions that have already been asked and answered.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM

I do if I start with a produced pattern but I always change so they never look the same. I have this phase of copycat and it being illegal to copy a picture. Also I don't want my quilt to look exactly like somebody else's masterpiece .
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Good idea if there was a pattern involved! Most (not all) of what I do is seeing a block or a quilt I like and then making something similar or something I envision from seeing a variety of ideas.

Even if I start with a pattern it rarely ends up exactly like the original because I put my own spin to it. I've been doing this with garment patterns, counted cross stitch patterns, crochet and knitting patterns, etc. ever since my college days way back when. (My kids used to call it back in the prehistoric era. ) Lol!
This is the simular to the way I do things.

This is an interesting thread~~~ I have been sewing for many many years.. rarely have I seen a original block that I would say has not been made before by someone in time. Names of the same block are also many! I do not understand how a person can really follow copy write laws and copy write quilt block patterns. There is much history of quilting and quilt blocks, methods of sewing combinations, colors, etc. that reveal the diversity of the art of quilting..
I have books like Mary Ellen Hopkins "It's Ok to set on my quilts" that show how to put together lots of different blocks some with names some without. Also another book on how to look at a quilt and see the different hidden blocks that can be made by combining simple sq.s rectangles. triangles, etc "Hidden Block Quilts" by Lerlene Nevaril.
I do read the threads..sometimes a couple times..find it easy to say the same thing someone else has just written..
maybe the way you say or do things someone will be blessed or find a better way.. Enjoy!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM

Hey now.....this is the first time I have seen crabby quilters and I can't say I like it. Many quilts made in quilt shops are made by quilters who work there and it is advertising patterns, fabric, etc. so they are happy to help you. I do honestly feel sad reading many of these posts. If it really upsets you to answer questions and even the sometimes innocently repeated question, then might I kindly suggest you refrain from posting pictures of your quilts? I have not posted any pictures of my quilts.....yet, but I am curious.....why do you post photos of your quilts? I assume because you want to share with others. Wouldn't you then assume folks might have questions? There are a lot of members on this board so I am sure it is easy to get numerous questions. I can imagine it might quickly become overwhelming. Rather than making mean comments about people (who are probably reading this) maybe you can state in you picture posting that you aren't willing or able to answer questions. That way people won't bother you. I am sure that no one on this board would intentionally create hardship or angst for others on the board. Happy Quilting!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM

I try to put the name, but a lot of mine are such popular patterns I guess I think folks will know what it is. I do make up some of my own. The one I made for my son had many requests to use the pattern and I said welcome..... I also did a little tute on the dimensions I use.