View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM
RonieM

Hi Donna,

Welcome! I also live in the Finger Lakes Region in NY. In the past I have taught classes locally. Unfortunately, I just don't have much time for it now. I would suggest getting in touch with the local quilt shops and see if they have a need for new teachers. Maybe make an appointment to talk to the shop owner and bring samples of your work. What shop you are teaching for often determines fees. For instance, one shop I worked for tacked on $5 to my per person fee of $20 to cover the cost of electricity - so the cost for the class was $25. Another shop I taught for did not add anything to the per person fee, as the workshop got customers in the door and of course they bought while they were there. Yet another shop would not charge any more than $25 per person, no matter what the class was.

You might also consider getting newsletters from area shops, they will tell you what the shops are charging for classes and what the market will bear.

Another bonus to teaching at local shops is that they do the advertizing for you. Class samples made out of fabrics carried in the shops always peaks an interest. I taught a purse class for one shop and they insisted I use fabrics that were in their shop. I could either buy the fabric and keep the sample when done, or they would provide me with the materials for the sample and I would make it, but it would be their property.

Hope this information helps in some way. Good luck to you!