View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Quilter2B

When I lived in Northwestern Arizona the Walmart had a pretty good fabric department, then they remodeled the store and the fabric department disappeared. In its place was a "home decor" department with prints, frames and other crafting supplies. The nearest Joann's was 100 miles away. I moved this spring to SoCal and was happy to find a Joann's within just a few miles. Then I discovered a "super" Joann's about 20 miles away. No LQS that I have found yet. I, like many others, make my decision on whether I need it, like it and can afford it. I have recently found a larger thrift store where I can score on Saturdays at 50% their tagged price - many times finding 5+ yards for around $1/yd. I scour the remant bins for my 'stash" and usually only buy what is on sale (budget - ugh). I have found if I watch carefully, I can find some good stuff at Walmart but I don't like the fact that they don't list fabric content - some of the "cottons" really aren't 100% and they work differently in quilts. My first queen size quilt top was 80% Walmart and 20% (borders) was purchased at a quilt show/Joann's. The backing was a thirft store find .