View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

My favorite "crinkly" batting is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton. It is a batting that was used for decades in this country (U.S., not U.K.!), so many of the crinkly vintage quilts you see were made with this batting. In the past it was usually hand quilted, but it machine quilts just fine. Quilting lines need to be no more than 2" apart because there is no scrim and it is not needlepunched. This batting gets softer with every washing, which is one of the reasons I love it. It is harder to find these days (I usually have to go online to purchase) because so many people are into the needlepunched and scrim types of batting that allow quilting lines to be far apart.

In my opinion you are taking a risk washing a new quilt with un-prewashed fabric in a front-loading domestic machine. If you ever have a fabric that bleeds, a few color catchers will not be enough to absorb all the dye. I have a front-loader at home, so I take my quilts to the laundromat for their first washing. I still prefer the front-loader because it is so much kinder to the fabrics, but the laundromat front-loaders use enough water to dilute any dye bleeds thoroughly. I also use Synthrapol in that first wash as it prevents free floating dye particles from settling into the wrong fabrics. Synthrapol requires hot water, and the hot water helps shrink the batting. I get additional shrinkage from drying in the tumbler dryer at the laundromat, as the dryer heat also helps shrink the batting and fabrics.

Edit: I should add that I do not normally preshrink fabrics I use in quilts. I let all of the fabrics shrink together with the batting in that first wash and dry.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-29-2013 at 12:47 PM.