Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'crinkly' look

The 'crinkly' look

Hello! I have recently completed my first quilt and have just joined the quilting board

I was wondering about the crinkly look. I really love it and want more of it! My quilt did crinkle a bit, but I was wondering what else I could do to encourage more crinkliness in future quilts.

Are there battings out there that crinkle more than others? I know to avoid poly, but out of the cotton ones, is there a make that crinkles more? I used Sew Simple Super Soft Cotton. As for what you do after the quilt is finished, how much of an impact does that have? I machine washed my quilt on the delicate cycle of my front loader. I don't own a tumbler anymore, so I then draped it over a hot radiator - is that a good substitute or should I take it to the launderette?

And in terms of the quilting itself, does quilting closer together give more crinkles, or does it not matter?

Sorry lots of questions!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about your question, but I wanted to welcome you to the board from Northern California. Would love to see a picture of your quilt. We all like show and tell. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if you might have better luck getting crinkles if you put the quilt in the dryer - or tumbler, as you called it. Maybe take it to the launderette.

Thank you! Here's my quilt, avery simple pattern, perfect for a beginner, I'd say! I've already started my second, which demands more precise piecing, so cross your fingers for me!
    Name:  Lotta Quilt II.jpg
Views: 4151
Size:  1.43 MB

Yes, I can try! And I'm hoping to be able to get one soon. My SO doesn't want to, but I'm working hard to convince him!

In future quilts if you use unwashed flannel on the back you will achieve crinkling after you wash it due to difference in shrinkage of front fabric to back fabric. Anyway, that is my experience.

So, is that flannel as well as batting? Thanks for your reply

Love the modern look of your quilt. You have a great eye for combining patterns and colors!

my experience is that it's the shrinkage that makes it wrinkly. I us only 100% cotton, quilt store quality fabrics and do NOT prewash the fabric or the batting. For batting I use either warm and natural or another 100% cotton batting or a batting that is no less than 80% cotton. I DO dry my quilts in the dryer since the heat adds to the wrinkly nature. The danger in not pre-washing is that some fabrics may bleed...but since I limit myself to quilt store quality fabrics I've never had a problem with bleeding tho others say they have. I also use lots of reds and purples and deep colors so either I'm really lucky or I shop at the right stores!

I think that more quilting reduces the amount of wrinkling since it binds the three layers together but I've never done a study on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUncommonThread View Post
    Hello! I have recently completed my first quilt and have just joined the quilting board

I was wondering about the crinkly look. I really love it and want more of it! My quilt did crinkle a bit, but I was wondering what else I could do to encourage more crinkliness in future quilts.

Are there battings out there that crinkle more than others? I know to avoid poly, but out of the cotton ones, is there a make that crinkles more? I used Sew Simple Super Soft Cotton. As for what you do after the quilt is finished, how much of an impact does that have? I machine washed my quilt on the delicate cycle of my front loader. I don't own a tumbler anymore, so I then draped it over a hot radiator - is that a good substitute or should I take it to the launderette?

And in terms of the quilting itself, does quilting closer together give more crinkles, or does it not matter?

Sorry lots of questions!
    Kate

Thanks for your reply! I did not pre-wash my fabrics for that very reason and I would only ever buy quilting fabric, probably. I just popped some colour catchers in the machine when I washed it and it all came out fine. My second quilt is mostly white with some super bright red and blue, but I'm using Kona Cotton Solids, which I hope will be ok!

Welcome and I love your quilt and fabric choices. I use warm and natural and it really depends on how much quilting I do as to how "crinkly" it turns out.

Thank you! I used two collections by the same designer (Lotta Jandotter) and I think it worked well. I can't take full credit, because this was inspired by another quilt I saw, by the very wonderful Red Pepper Quilts.

Thank you! So, is what you're saying that quilting closer together will produce a more crinkly look?

Blog Entries
    I actually think it's the batting that makes the most difference. don't know what's available in the UK, there are lots of members who live there and hopefully someone will chime in with a cotton batting (wadding?) that will shrink a bit and is available there.
    I also have a theory that if you pre wash (pre shrink) your fabric and don't shrink your batting you get more wrinkles. You quilt the fabric to the batting which holds it in place. The batting shrinks, but not the fabric which has to bunch up a bit to accomodate the smaller batting. If your fabric also shrinks because you didn't pre wash, it will shrink at about the same rate as the batt, resulting in a smoother quilt. That's my theory anyway ;-)
    It's sort of trial and error. Try different battings, flannel pre wash/don't, tumble dry vs. air dry etc. eventually you will come up with a combo that you like.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Any cotton fabrics have the possibility of being a bleeder. I prewash all fabrics to eliminate any questions of bleeders and if I find one, I pretreat with Retayne....that problem is then solved. I find that using a batting of mostly cotton is what makes the crinkly look...some cotton battings will shrink 3-5%, some more. Combine that shrinkage with a closer quilting and you get the desired look. The quilting secures the layers together, then washing/drying shrinks the batting and pulls the fabric creating those little puckers and that beautiful finish that most of us love!

Beautiful quilt. My quilts crinkle enough to suit me. I prewash all my fabrics. I wash and dry my quilts as soon as I finish sewing the binding on. I always use my dryer (tumbler).
    Welcome to the board from Missouri.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Oh, that makes total sense, thank you!

oh sorry, I meant to ask: what is your preferred batting? We seem to get a lot of American batting here, so it's possible that I can find your favourite and give it a try.

I've only used warm & natural (or white) batting with pre-washed fabrics. I get plenty of crinkles, I think! I wash my quilts in the machine on a regular cycle and dry in the dryer. Not sure that quilting distance makes that much difference but other, more experienced quilters will guide you on that. I've done both lots and minimal quilting and don't seem to notice much difference in the crinkle. I think it's really the dryer that helps with that look.

Blog Entries
    oh that is so cute!!! but yes, the tumbler/dryer heat is what will help crinkle it a bit.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Oh dear, I've just realised that replies are general replies rather than to a person, so my questions/comments are not going to the right people! Sorry! Must get used to this board!

I'm a new quilter too so I have no advice at all. I just wanted to tell you that I love your quilt!

Blog Entries
    Welcome. You are going to love your quilting journey. I started in 07 and have learned so much. This QB is the place to learn and be inspired. I love crinkly quilts too and doing a meander stitch seems to help with that. The meander looks much like a puzzle in size of shapes I create in free motion. We look forward to seeing your next project. Enjoy.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

I'd like to add that doing samples maybe small squares with varying procedures and products may give good test results.

100 % cotton batting, 100 % cotton fabric, do not prewash. Quilt it to death! Wash and dry, you should have crinkles!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast