Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
seasaw2mch

I just finished the top for her Glacier Star. Now keep in mind that I have NEVER done paper piecing until doing this quilt top. I also made changes to her original design because I wanted to make it a little differently. As far as her instructions, yes I have to agree they can be confusing but I have never followed instruction in my life so that's not a big deal for me, I just lay everything out and figure where it should go and then go from there. I was really disappointed that with the amount of the pattern, she doesn't give you a more permanent template pieces.
Because if you like the pattern and use the ones that come with it, you no longer have templates if you ever want to do another. But I got around that also, I cut out the paper pieces and then made my own copies, so I can keep the original ones that came with the instructions.

As far a piecing it together, sure I had some issues but they were mostly because I had never done paper piecing so once I got the hang of it, things went fairly smoothly. Will I ever do another paper piecing project? ONLY if I use some sort of dissolving paper because the picking out of the paper was my biggest pet peeve. A waist of time for me, it took as much time to pick out the paper as it did to sew and the sewing took much longer then I expected. Paper piecing is a lot slower process then normal sewing of pieced blocks. I guess if you have lots of patience then this sort of piecing is ok but it's a very trying thing for someone that's use to getting it done and moving on the the next project.