Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 AM
ocsfollowme

Default Ways to display

Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
My father was a young boy during WW2. His father (my grandfather) was a Colonel. My father and his two brothers collected patches all over Europe. My daughter identified each of the patches and put them all in a scrap book. I like what you've done even better. I'm sure we don't have them all, however I do have an aweful lot! Thanks for sharing. You've given me some ideas.....
SandraD,

Many of the wives sewed all of the patches onto those green wool blankets the GI's were issued. This is not one of them, but a photo of one quilt I saw online. 99% of the quilts like this that I have seen never have the patches in any type of order. Folk art, haphazardly made. But all so beautiful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417282[/ATTACH]

Patches can range in price from $1 to several thousand dollars depending on the rarity or even the variation of the units insignia. If you ever need help identifying patches just let me know. If you ever do decide to sew them onto a quilt, make sure you save photos of the "reverse side" of the patches because ones with green bobbing thread are more expensive than others (several companies did this and they were early WW2 made so collectors like them. Some patches were used 10 years after the war so collectors like legit period patches that were surely worn during the war).

Collectors really like the chain stitching, as seen on several of these patches, on uniforms and quilts.
Attached Thumbnails b1k67ig-mk%7E%24-kgrhquokjke-o8-1cc-bmd-zmfml-%7E%7E_3.jpg  

Last edited by ocsfollowme; 06-05-2013 at 06:03 AM.