Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

Greetings,

I am getting excited as I am about to start the binding and sleeves on both of these king size quilts this weekend. This has been an 8 year process due to the expense of acquiring the original world war patches and sometimes even harder--finding them. It was supposed to be a double size quilt but ended up becoming two king size quilts! My goal is to get them on tour across the country and eventually end up hanging in a museum.

Due to the weight of each, I was advised to sew around each of the patches so that it would not sag. Finishing the second one tomorrow (sewing around the patches). There are over 300 different patches on each quilt!!

These are not the latest photos, but it is hard to take them on the ground since they are so large. I'll post better ones next week when the binding and sleeves are complete.

Name:  1800x601.jpg
Views: 5619
Size:  302.0 KB
    Name:  2800x668.jpg
Views: 5403
Size:  337.8 KB

Should I make sleeves for the top and bottom? The quilts weigh 14 lbs each. I sewed around each of the patches to keep them from sagging so possibly one at top would work? Advice needed for this please.

Any advice of quilting shows that take quilts on tour across the country? I wanted to get them completed several years ago but I had to spend 12 months in Afghanistan so that slowed me up. WW2 vets are passing away in high numbers and I would love to be able to have those veterans who remain to be able to see this. The patches are in order to by Army, corps, divisions, commands, etc.

-Steve
    Last edited by ocsfollowme; 06-04-2013 at 08:43 PM.

My favorite are the home front patches. I just picked up a Women's Ambulance Defense Corps patch this past week. There were patches for children for when they collected scrap metal.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Steve, for your service!
    Ruth

It was my pleasure Ruth. I did my 3 years as an intelligence officer and will start graduate school at the University of San Diego this September. The quilts will be making a showing around the city =) Balboa and hopefully on the USS Midway. So you may see them around town!

Blog Entries
    Wow wonderful quilts!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

My FIL is 96. We just spent a week with him listening to his stories of WWII in Chile and Italy. He is an amazing man. His sons favorite story is of asking their father why he never got angry and he said because he saw so much bad and sorrow in The war. Nothing compares that is worth getting angry over.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Have you checked with Veteran's Affairs? They might be able to give you some insight on how to proceed. I was a member of the army for 21 years and almost every larger city I traveled through had some type of a Memorial Building. Some of the displays were really great and I would think something like this would go over well at these Memorial Buildings.
    June

Blog Entries
    Thank You!!!!! This is beautiful in so many ways, and what a wonderful work you have done.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful way to commemorate our heroes. I would think it may be disrespectful to hang it up side down..... like our flag
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours!

These are stunning and a great way to commemorate our service members. My hubby was in the Navy for 20 years before his passing. Maybe you could contact the Naval air museum in Pensacola FL. We were stationed there many years and it is a great place. I know they display models and things others have made, they may be very happy to display your quilt for a time. They get thousands of visitors every year so a lot of people would see it, especially in Oct. when the Blues do their home air show. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Thank you for your service to our country, and thank you for honoring those who have gone before in defense of our country. May God Bless you and yours.

Power Poster
    wow just wonderful!!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    WOW WOW WOW!!!! How amazing these are and what a labor of love My dad was Retired Air Force and also an Viet Nam war veteran. As a military "brat" I want to thank you for your service.....Glad you made it home safely.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Those are two stunning quilts! Awesome job!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    Firstly thank you so much for your service. Awesome way to commemorate our heroes! Your quilts are fantastic!!
    Helen T.

I love these quilts. My Dad is a WWII Vet and we have a reunion every year and a couple of us quilters have made quilts for the events. These quilts would be wonderful to display at the reunion.

Blog Entries
    awesome !
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

My father was a young boy during WW2. His father (my grandfather) was a Colonel. My father and his two brothers collected patches all over Europe. My daughter identified each of the patches and put them all in a scrap book. I like what you've done even better. I'm sure we don't have them all, however I do have an aweful lot! Thanks for sharing. You've given me some ideas.....
    SandraD

Awesome quilts!
    As long as we live, there is never enough singing. Martin Luther

Ways to display

Quote Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
    My father was a young boy during WW2. His father (my grandfather) was a Colonel. My father and his two brothers collected patches all over Europe. My daughter identified each of the patches and put them all in a scrap book. I like what you've done even better. I'm sure we don't have them all, however I do have an aweful lot! Thanks for sharing. You've given me some ideas.....
    SandraD,

Many of the wives sewed all of the patches onto those green wool blankets the GI's were issued. This is not one of them, but a photo of one quilt I saw online. 99% of the quilts like this that I have seen never have the patches in any type of order. Folk art, haphazardly made. But all so beautiful.

Name:  !B1K67ig!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjkE)O8-1CC+BMd(zMFml!~~_3.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  102.8 KB

Patches can range in price from $1 to several thousand dollars depending on the rarity or even the variation of the units insignia. If you ever need help identifying patches just let me know. If you ever do decide to sew them onto a quilt, make sure you save photos of the "reverse side" of the patches because ones with green bobbing thread are more expensive than others (several companies did this and they were early WW2 made so collectors like them. Some patches were used 10 years after the war so collectors like legit period patches that were surely worn during the war).

Collectors really like the chain stitching, as seen on several of these patches, on uniforms and quilts.
    Last edited by ocsfollowme; 06-05-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Those are so awesome. You did a wonderful job. Good luck with sleeves.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for putting so much love and hard work into something honoring our military! You are a gem!! Beautiful quilts, hope your dream to display works out.

Wonderful quilt. I had a good friend that made one out of all of his Dad's old uniforms but yours is much nicer. I hope you find a way for people all over the country to be able to see it.

Blog Entries
    OMG...those are awesome.....thank you for your service and I hope you are succesful in getting them displayed......

very unique quilts
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast