View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
LumpySpacePrincess

Default Help with Embroidered Quilt Top

So I bought a Bucilla quilt top with a stamped cross-stitch design (http://www.joann.com/bucilla-butterf...45-/xprd72821/). My problem is that I'm almost done and the quilt top is now bunchy in parts from being stretched with hoops for embroidering. It has taken me nearly a year to finish it and I'm eager to get it completely done.

So I have a few questions as someone who has never made a quilt before:
1. How do I get it not bunchy without getting it wet? If I get the top wet before quilting, the quilting lines will disappear.

2. It is going to be used as a wall-hanging, so what kind of batting can I use that isn't too thick but will still help the quilt hold its shape?

3. The finished dimensions are 45x45 square, unfinished is 50x50 square. How many yards of backing fabric do I need?

4. Is there anyone in the Northern New Jersey/Rockland County NY area that would be willing to help me finish this before June 25th? Its a gift for my dad's girlfriend who has been a wonderful nurse for him through his time with terminal cancer. We are flying home to Seattle for a few weeks on the 25th of June and I'd like to have it completed before then. I don't need anything fancy, just the straight lines and getting it all looking nice.

Thank you so much for your input!

Sincerely,
Amanda