Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
charsuewilson

My in-laws were smokers. We bought them an air cleaner, an ozone generator, when they quit smoking. They are not cheap, about $600. A little cheaper is an electrostatic precipitator type of air cleaner, but they're at least $200. The HEPA filter type of air cleaner would not work for this purpose. It took about 3 days to eliminate the odor. It had to keep running after that because smoke would keep coming out of the upholstered furniture. FIL started smoking again. And after he died, just one day of running the air cleaner cleaned the stale smoke out of the air. The hardest place to remove the smoke from was the speakers for the stereo system in the ceiling.

Motels and hotels usually have one of the ozone generating air cleaners. They can clean one hotel room in about 30 minutes. That would be enough for someone smoking a cigarette or two. But I agree, the residue will still remain, so washing or at least rinsing with something that would remove the residue would help. Detergent and vinegar would help with that. I would try just removing the odor first, and then wash only if necessary.