Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
petthefabric

Wow, was this inciteful! I teach classes and encourage the members to interact. I keep a close eye on the interaction and the solutions they're finding as a team. When I'm teaching....well here's an example, if I'm talking about threads, I'll give everyone some spools of thread and ask them what they have and then as a group we "discover" the best functions for that thread. My style of teaching is more kinesthetic than lecture. I think when people discover for themselves, they'll remember and understand better. And when working as a team, they develope relationships.

Then as I hear their questions, I'll talk while everyone tries to see how that applies to them. I like lots of feedback and cross talk. I might explain one way and it doesn't click, but when several people explain it in a way that helped them, maybe it'll click.

I limit the class material so that some people can finish 1hr early and some people don't quite finish. Usually everyone hangs around talking and laughing afterwards.

After reading this, some people may need more time to understand and one-on-one time from the instructor. I'm going to watch even more closely. I need to be allert to those who process info more to themselves.

Recently a friend said she doesn't take classes because she's always falling so far behind that she doesn't get much from them. But when we sew together, she picks my knowledge. Works for us.