View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Yarn or Fabric

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns View Post
I have been looking on the internet at sewing machines with long necks. I don't need a sewing machine that is really fancy. Is there any simple machines that have a long neck? Also what are some on your favorite machines with long necks.
Are you going to be using it for actual sewing or for free motion quilting? And how long of a neck are you looking for?
If you are going to be using it for sewing and want a no frills, I would suggest looking for an industrial machine. You can get a straight stitch one relatively cheap. You can usually get one with a much longer throat than a regular domestic machine.. and you can use them to quilt - and normally can get them set in to a table as an option.

If you are looking for something for that just quilts, no piecing or sewing you have several options starting at longer than 9" - 11, 13, 15, 17, 18 etc.. I'm assuming that the 9" length is not what you want.

I have a Juki 2000 for piecing. It is only a straight stitch machine. It has auto cutters and needle threader. I love love love my Juki.
I also have a Tin Lizzie sit down for quilting. I love my Lizzie as well. The Juki gets a workout more often but that's okay. When she is called to duty, she's a champ...
I used to have a Bailey on a frame. I liked the Bailey a lot. It's a real work horse but I didn't enjoy the frame so I sold the set up and got my sit down. I would have kept the Bailey if there was a table option. I do not have the skills nor do I know anyone that has the skills to alter or make a table for it to sit in for table use. I wish that company would consider that as an option and offer premade or assemble at home tables for those of us that prefer to sit at a table to quilt... It would have been a heck of a lot cheaper than the Lizzie....

Without knowing how long you want/need and what you're going to be using it for it's kind of hard to send suggestions...