Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long neck sewing machines

Long neck sewing machines

I have been looking on the internet at sewing machines with long necks. I don't need a sewing machine that is really fancy. Is there any simple machines that have a long neck? Also what are some on your favorite machines with long necks.

I think you will find that the longer the opening, the more bells and whistles that come with it!

Being that you have been already looking on the internet, check the specs for each of the machines and you will find out the harp size (width and height) along with the other features, to help you make your decision.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I had a Brother SE400 that was a great machine but the opening was only 6". It made it difficult to FMQ. I ended up buying a TOL Brother Dreamweaver XE that is a combo embroidery/sewing/quilting. I've had it about six weeks and have barely scratched the surface of what it can do. To get the wide opening you pay the price and get a machine that practically walks and talks by itself. I love my new machine and have no regrets of buying it.

I have done some research on this subject because I am looking at a straight stitch high speed machine for piecing and quilting. Check out these machines on their respective websites, Brother PQ-1500S, Babylock Jane and Pfaff Grandquilter. By looking at their specs they are all very similar, the main difference will be in price. Does anyone have any comment on any of these 3 machines?
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Is long neck the same as a larger throat? I like the Janome because of a larger throat.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    yep, large throat space is what is needed. now the Janome I have is only six inches. sigh!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Don't forget to check out Juki. I have the Juki TL 98Q and love it. The newer model is the TL 2010Q. It's fast, powerful, will handle a King sized quilt and retails around $1000. It's a lot of machine for a reasonable price. I love the thread cutting buttons, a huge one on the foot pedal and one on the body of the machine, needle up, needle down and the longer stitch length (up to 7 mm). I paid over twice as much for my Janome 6500 and my Juki sews rings around it.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    Try this one TL-98P PERFECTION I have one large throat , backwards forwards goes like a monster . It is very heavy but quilts a top in no time. I love it.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Get the Jane. I've had 2 (because I work at a quilt store & they needed a "used" model to sell LOL). It's superfast, beautiful tension, not picky about thread, comes with great attachments & are only sold by dealers who can support your purchase later on. The brother is pretty much the same except you don't always get dealer support, especially if you buy on-line. The pfaff is just annoying. the feed dogs don't drop (you cover them) and I have personally broken a tension spring & seen other do it, too. plus, it's way more sensitive to timing issues & doesn't come with the same variety of attachments as the Jane. Also, FYI, I also own a couple "fancy" machines, but for pure piecing & free-motion power sewing, Jane is my girl. Happy quilting.

A vintage singer 201 or 15 won't cost you more than $100 or so and they have fairly large throats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    Don't forget to check out Juki. I have the Juki TL 98Q and love it. The newer model is the TL 2010Q. It's fast, powerful, will handle a King sized quilt and retails around $1000. It's a lot of machine for a reasonable price. I love the thread cutting buttons, a huge one on the foot pedal and one on the body of the machine, needle up, needle down and the longer stitch length (up to 7 mm). I paid over twice as much for my Janome 6500 and my Juki sews rings around it.
    i agree with this, i have the 98Q
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've only had my Juki TL2010Q for a couple days but I have already FMQ a lap size quilt and I was amazed at the difference the large harp space makes. It's a beautiful beast! Happy hunting!

Jane is a Juki in a BabyLock suit. Just comes with a nice assortment of goodies. Sews like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by franklindixie View Post
    Jane is a Juki in a BabyLock suit. Just comes with a nice assortment of goodies. Sews like a dream
    Seems like there are quite a few straight stitch machine just in different suits. I test drove the Janome and the Juki because I had a dealer within driving distance. Having a good support system is helpful, and always good to support your local dealers when possible. The Juki has a couple great features that I already love, knee lift & thread cutter on the foot pedal.

I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500s straight stitcher which has a 9" throat. It is the best machine I have for quilting. I believe Juki made a series of them for different manufacturers, so you should be able to find it for a test drive. I have seen where Board members have bought one for $500-$750. I can't advise, as I got mine when it had a pricd reduction to $2000 over here. They have since reduced to $1700...

Quote Originally Posted by Boonedox View Post
    I've only had my Juki TL2010Q for a couple days but I have already FMQ a lap size quilt and I was amazed at the difference the large harp space makes. It's a beautiful beast! Happy hunting!
    I looked on line at this machine and they don't tell you what the harp space is; they just talk about an extended bed of 23". Well, I don't care about the extended bed. I would put the machine flush with the table top so all I care about is the harp space. Why don't they put that in the specifications? ... Or am I blind and just can't see it? I have a Janome 7700 and I love the harp space (11") but am otherwise not all that impressed.
    Pat

Ihave a Viking/Emb machine with a 10" throat, but they also have just a quilting machine with the 10" throat, too. I am FMQ on my second quilt ever, and my first time FMQing, and it's working out just fine- I'm doing a queen size. I love my Vikings and they hold the value longer than a lot of other brands.

I love my Brother PQ1500S. It is a straight stitch only, high speed machine that mostly I use for quilting, but lately, I find myself piecing on it too as it has the auto thread cutter which none of my other machines do. I got mine through Amazon for a wonderful price of a little over $569, I think .
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I have the Juki 2010Q and love it. Everyone told me not to get a straight stitch machine, but I do not regret it at all. Also liked the Babylock Jane, but Juki dealer is more convenient for me.

I also have the Juki2010Q. I have mine on a Grace Start Right quilt frame and it does great FMQ and If I would want to use it just to sew quilts it will be great. It is a very heavy duty machine and worth every dollar amount.

My personal experience

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I have done some research on this subject because I am looking at a straight stitch high speed machine for piecing and quilting. Check out these machines on their respective websites, Brother PQ-1500S, Babylock Jane and Pfaff Grandquilter. By looking at their specs they are all very similar, the main difference will be in price. Does anyone have any comment on any of these 3 machines?
    I have the Brother PQ-1500S and it has a 9" throat. It sews forward, backward, and does wonderful machine quilting. Absolutely love this machine. I also have a Brother NQ400 which does not have a large throat but does have some decorative stitches and does wonderful machine quilting. As others have suggested, try them out in the store and find the one you are comfortable using. Prices vary so much with different machines and I consider the Brothers to be mid-priced. Good luck.

If you want a reasonably priced "hobby" priced "long arm" machine, I would get a Bailey. They have a good reputation and great service. When I have the money and the room, that's what I'll be getting.

I love my Juki. A workhorse and not nearly as expensive as others I have looked at.

The SE400 was my first machine. A great little machine but you are right the opening was really small for FMQ. I bet you love your Dreamweaver. I moved to the Laura Ashley and felt in heaven with the larger sewing area.

QM
    I love my straight stitch Janome It is a real workhorse and great for fmq.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast