Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long neck sewing machines >

Long neck sewing machines

Long neck sewing machines

Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Don't forget to check out Juki. I have the Juki TL 98Q and love it. The newer model is the TL 2010Q. It's fast, powerful, will handle a King sized quilt and retails around $1000. It's a lot of machine for a reasonable price. I love the thread cutting buttons, a huge one on the foot pedal and one on the body of the machine, needle up, needle down and the longer stitch length (up to 7 mm). I paid over twice as much for my Janome 6500 and my Juki sews rings around it.
i agree with this, i have the 98Q
Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 PM

I've only had my Juki TL2010Q for a couple days but I have already FMQ a lap size quilt and I was amazed at the difference the large harp space makes. It's a beautiful beast! Happy hunting!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Jane is a Juki in a BabyLock suit. Just comes with a nice assortment of goodies. Sews like a dream
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by franklindixie View Post
Jane is a Juki in a BabyLock suit. Just comes with a nice assortment of goodies. Sews like a dream
Seems like there are quite a few straight stitch machine just in different suits. I test drove the Janome and the Juki because I had a dealer within driving distance. Having a good support system is helpful, and always good to support your local dealers when possible. The Juki has a couple great features that I already love, knee lift & thread cutter on the foot pedal.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:33 AM

I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500s straight stitcher which has a 9" throat. It is the best machine I have for quilting. I believe Juki made a series of them for different manufacturers, so you should be able to find it for a test drive. I have seen where Board members have bought one for $500-$750. I can't advise, as I got mine when it had a pricd reduction to $2000 over here. They have since reduced to $1700...
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Boonedox View Post
I've only had my Juki TL2010Q for a couple days but I have already FMQ a lap size quilt and I was amazed at the difference the large harp space makes. It's a beautiful beast! Happy hunting!
I looked on line at this machine and they don't tell you what the harp space is; they just talk about an extended bed of 23". Well, I don't care about the extended bed. I would put the machine flush with the table top so all I care about is the harp space. Why don't they put that in the specifications? ... Or am I blind and just can't see it? I have a Janome 7700 and I love the harp space (11") but am otherwise not all that impressed.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 AM

Ihave a Viking/Emb machine with a 10" throat, but they also have just a quilting machine with the 10" throat, too. I am FMQ on my second quilt ever, and my first time FMQing, and it's working out just fine- I'm doing a queen size. I love my Vikings and they hold the value longer than a lot of other brands.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM

I love my Brother PQ1500S. It is a straight stitch only, high speed machine that mostly I use for quilting, but lately, I find myself piecing on it too as it has the auto thread cutter which none of my other machines do. I got mine through Amazon for a wonderful price of a little over $569, I think .
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM

I have the Juki 2010Q and love it. Everyone told me not to get a straight stitch machine, but I do not regret it at all. Also liked the Babylock Jane, but Juki dealer is more convenient for me.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM

I also have the Juki2010Q. I have mine on a Grace Start Right quilt frame and it does great FMQ and If I would want to use it just to sew quilts it will be great. It is a very heavy duty machine and worth every dollar amount.