Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long neck sewing machines >

Long neck sewing machines

Long neck sewing machines

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM

they even stretch machines now
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
Ihave a Viking/Emb machine with a 10" throat, but they also have just a quilting machine with the 10" throat, too. I am FMQ on my second quilt ever, and my first time FMQing, and it's working out just fine- I'm doing a queen size. I love my Vikings and they hold the value longer than a lot of other brands.
I have the Sapphire 875, its built on the same chassis as the Husqvara Viking embroidery machines. I love having the 10" throat space. There are 3 machines in the Sapphire line,Tribute 140 and Sapphires 835 and 875. I used to work for HV and fell in love with the Sapphire 875. Its a great machine for both sewing and quilting.
I much prefer the bobbin that goes in under the machine with a removable bobbin case, its better for FMQ in my experience. But that being said, I can't afford the more expensive machines. I bought the Sapphire with my employee discount or I wouldn't have it. I'd really like to have a simple machine with the longer throat that just has straight and zig zag stitches for quilting.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 06-25-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Also check out Consumer Reports. They have some info on sewing machines. (Not a lot, but there is some)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
I agree, 100%. I have both the Juki machines and just love the way it handles both for straight stitch and being able to FMQ. I would not trade either one. I had a Brother and getting rid of it because of the small harp.
Do you happen to know how much the Juki weighs?
Sharon
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
A vintage singer 201 or 15 won't cost you more than $100 or so and they have fairly large throats.
I have both machines. FMQ with the 201(8") is difficult for me, I don't get nice looking stitches on the back, great for straight line quilting though. The Singer 15(7.5") is better for FMQ, it does a much better job. The feed dogs drop on both machines.
Sharon
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM

You might want to look at the Janome 1600P.

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns View Post
I have been looking on the internet at sewing machines with long necks. I don't need a sewing machine that is really fancy. Is there any simple machines that have a long neck? Also what are some on your favorite machines with long necks.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns View Post
I have been looking on the internet at sewing machines with long necks. I don't need a sewing machine that is really fancy. Is there any simple machines that have a long neck? Also what are some on your favorite machines with long necks.
Are you going to be using it for actual sewing or for free motion quilting? And how long of a neck are you looking for?
If you are going to be using it for sewing and want a no frills, I would suggest looking for an industrial machine. You can get a straight stitch one relatively cheap. You can usually get one with a much longer throat than a regular domestic machine.. and you can use them to quilt - and normally can get them set in to a table as an option.

If you are looking for something for that just quilts, no piecing or sewing you have several options starting at longer than 9" - 11, 13, 15, 17, 18 etc.. I'm assuming that the 9" length is not what you want.

I have a Juki 2000 for piecing. It is only a straight stitch machine. It has auto cutters and needle threader. I love love love my Juki.
I also have a Tin Lizzie sit down for quilting. I love my Lizzie as well. The Juki gets a workout more often but that's okay. When she is called to duty, she's a champ...
I used to have a Bailey on a frame. I liked the Bailey a lot. It's a real work horse but I didn't enjoy the frame so I sold the set up and got my sit down. I would have kept the Bailey if there was a table option. I do not have the skills nor do I know anyone that has the skills to alter or make a table for it to sit in for table use. I wish that company would consider that as an option and offer premade or assemble at home tables for those of us that prefer to sit at a table to quilt... It would have been a heck of a lot cheaper than the Lizzie....

Without knowing how long you want/need and what you're going to be using it for it's kind of hard to send suggestions...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 PM

I agree with yarn or fabric, if you are looking for a machine for FMQ, just bite the bullet and go for a sit down mid arm. I got the HQ Sweet 16 at the Road to Ca. show in Jan. and couldn't be happier!! I also have a Janome 6600 that stays home and a 3160 that travels with me for piecing.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM

I have a Janome 8200 and love it. It has an 11" throat but not all the bells and whistles of the 8900. It is a great machine. If I had the room, I would like to get a machine with a 16 - 20 inch throat but I can only dream right now.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM

I have the Brother PQ 1500, 9 in throat, straight Stitch nly, great machine!!!! Excellent for free motion.