View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Skeat
Originally Posted by memathomas
hi i live in Emma MO 35 min or moor from any walmart or fabric store all the walmart's that promised they would keep fabric, are and did not ! all the walmart's out side of the east side of kc mo are not keeping the fabric i was thinking about selling fabric out of my sewing room in my basement and offering machine quilting services i have also considered letting the customers quilt there own if they want of course they would use may batting because i buy by the roll it's already on the frame,also i would be by their side just in case ANY IN PUT??? :)
I say if you have a seperate outlet to that room and a seperate bathroom from your living area...then go for it!:)Start out w/what you would use anyhow;)Batting is a good idea!LOL And, if you do this...pm me...we just might have to drive over and see you some day!! Skeat...west of you:)
I agree. You also want to check you local zoning laws. I know some places will not allow a business out of the home that includes customers unless you have a bathroom that is not part of the regular house. Basically, you might need a bathroom that is specific for your "business area." For some reason the state (or whoever is in charge of the zoning laws) doesn't like customers using the family bathroom in the main part of the house. You'll have to check and see what the rules are for your specific area.

I used to hang out at my LQS so much people thought I worked there. I would help customers pick out fabric and find all sorts of things. The only thing I didn't do was cut fabric. I guess I could have but since I didn't work there I didn't feel I had the right to do it. Every once in awhile someone still comes up and says "Didn't you used to work at the quilt shop that closed?" I just have to laugh. Most gals who work in a quilt shop are very friendly and they can be fun places to hang around. And quilt shop owners love it when someone drags in their hand quilting and/or applique and just sits there sewing away. It draws in others and usually results in better sales for the quilt store. :wink: