Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shop is closing!! :( >

Quilt shop is closing!! :(

Quilt shop is closing!! :(

Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Originally Posted by memathomas
hi i live in Emma MO 35 min or moor from any walmart or fabric store all the walmart's that promised they would keep fabric, are and did not ! all the walmart's out side of the east side of kc mo are not keeping the fabric i was thinking about selling fabric out of my sewing room in my basement and offering machine quilting services i have also considered letting the customers quilt there own if they want of course they would use may batting because i buy by the roll it's already on the frame,also i would be by their side just in case ANY IN PUT??? :)
I say if you have a seperate outlet to that room and a seperate bathroom from your living area...then go for it!:)Start out w/what you would use anyhow;)Batting is a good idea!LOL And, if you do this...pm me...we just might have to drive over and see you some day!! Skeat...west of you:)
I agree. You also want to check you local zoning laws. I know some places will not allow a business out of the home that includes customers unless you have a bathroom that is not part of the regular house. Basically, you might need a bathroom that is specific for your "business area." For some reason the state (or whoever is in charge of the zoning laws) doesn't like customers using the family bathroom in the main part of the house. You'll have to check and see what the rules are for your specific area.

I used to hang out at my LQS so much people thought I worked there. I would help customers pick out fabric and find all sorts of things. The only thing I didn't do was cut fabric. I guess I could have but since I didn't work there I didn't feel I had the right to do it. Every once in awhile someone still comes up and says "Didn't you used to work at the quilt shop that closed?" I just have to laugh. Most gals who work in a quilt shop are very friendly and they can be fun places to hang around. And quilt shop owners love it when someone drags in their hand quilting and/or applique and just sits there sewing away. It draws in others and usually results in better sales for the quilt store. :wink:
Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM

We are blessed to have a fabric store that offers quilting classes only 7 miles away. Prices are better than Joanne's too. Our walmarts around CT stopped selling fabric early this year. I was told they are all going out.
The fabric store owner said VIP fabric was a big line at Walmart and were the only American made fabric left. Now that their biggest customer (Walmart) is gone, they are going to china with their fabric.
If our little fabric store can make it, so can you. Don't try to be too big and do too much at once. Hold classes that others teach and give them the course fee. Hopefully the students will purchase the fabric for the classes from you, and expose them to your other goods.
She has no other employees, just herself, so that cuts down on overhead too.
Carol :mrgreen:
Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

My LQS Ericas.com is open thursday evening , Saturday & Sundays :lol: I try to watch for the sale fabric, but they also have an incentive club and most of the employees know me :oops: I also have two WalMarts that have fabric , Joannes and Hancocks. lately I have been finding the fabric at Hancocks appears to be very flimsy , my Joannes has remodeled and it seems the fabric is a smaller section. I love the coziness of the LQS it is a small store but packs a big punch :lol: :shock:

LLC Is Limited Liabilty Corporation..
Talk to an attorny and accountant before making a final decision because of the tax consequenes. LLCs Pay taxes through "your" personal taxes, so if you lose money you save money on taxes, but when the LLC makes money you have to claim it on your personal taxes , not always a good thing.

GOOD LUCK !
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 PM

I am facing the same dilemma but I am not as brave as you!!! If I opened a fabric store I woul keep all the fabric for myself!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Crissie
Wal-Mart nor Joanne's do not have the quality that a good quilt shop has!

Did you ever think of working out of the home or even a warehouse and doing quilt shows and/or shows? Something like a traveling quilt shop of people who are so fare away from local quilt shops? Ware houses can be out of the way ...But if you make a name for yourself people will go to the end of a rain bow for great fabrics. One of my friends has a shop in an old part of her town and has been in business for over fifteen years and we always go visit her shop and she has made a name for herself... So it can be done...

Lots to think about.
this got me thinking. if there are guilds in your area, how about quilting 'parties'? like old tupperware parties? you would visit the guild on their meeting night, show them what you have to sell, talk about new trends in quilting, maybe show some notions and/or patterns, maybe suggest a new project such as a bom or a challenge or mystery. you can sell the kits needed for the mysteries or the boms after putting them together yourself. boms are easy if you stay with old, un-copyrighted patterns. provide the needed fabrics and the instructions in a ziploc bag. print out a color print of the pattern to show on the front of the bag. many guilds will buy in order to keep you in business. provide refreshments (lemonade and cookies) and a few quilting quiz games (free on the internet) with tiny prizes for the winners. give out gc for a % off on their first purchase. if you can visit a few such guilds, you'll get known pretty well in your immediate area. if you can work out of your home while you do this, you'll get a head start on a rent-paying business. you won't know until you try, but i wouldn't bet more than i could afford to lose, so i would go by degrees.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM

absolutely. i used to love those parties. tupperware, jewelry, makeup, all kinds of stuff. but i never heard of a quilting/fabric party. that would be too cool.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:45 PM

I just read through all the good suggestions. Just remember, that there are lots of hours involved in running your own business! Make sure you have good accounting /tax help, and a good attorney to help with any leasing you need to do. If at all possible, it is best to own your own building. Rent can kill you! Overhead does not bring in $$$$ Research! And help from the SBA is available. There are classes to help and one on one help is available in many areas. Ask lots of questions!