Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shop is closing!! :( >

Quilt shop is closing!! :(

Quilt shop is closing!! :(

Old 11-20-2009, 05:02 AM

I agree with the stocking suggestions!!! There is a very nice quilt shop just five minutes from my house. They have lots and lots and lots of fabrics; just all dull colors, small prints. I've never bought any fabric there. There are no batiks, no cherry colors. Wonder how many other quilters pass her by because of this????????
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 AM

The advice here has been so great I had to bookmark this thread!

Besides having a well selection of colors and patterns, you'll want to make sure to have various sized prints ranging from small to medium to large. Start checking out other quilt stores, both physically and those online, and see what you really like about them and what seems to be popular. You can quickly spot trends and which things have been around forever. (Tried & True) I am always amazed when my local quilt stores don't have things like a quarter inch foot or tools that should be common for any quilter's workbench like a seam ripper. Duh! (Workbench = sewing table, cutting table, et cetera)

Another thing you might consider if you set up a business is becoming a rep for one of the sewing machine manufacturers, like Bernina or Janome or Elna. Quilters are very loyal to their machine brand and being a rep will bring in a lot of business, as well as giving you a chance to use all the newly released models they come out with. Doesn't that just sound wonderful! (Can you tell where my agenda would be at?) :lol:

Nana2, I think you are likely right about people not going in because her color selection isn't very large, but I also think you are missing out on an opportunity. Sometimes those dull colors are perfect for blenders or to use as backings. You can pick up fabric for charity, for your Secret Sister, or as gifts. :wink:
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Wal-Mart nor Joanne's do not have the quality that a good quilt shop has!

Did you ever think of working out of the home or even a warehouse and doing quilt shows and/or shows? Something like a traveling quilt shop of people who are so fare away from local quilt shops? Ware houses can be out of the way ...But if you make a name for yourself people will go to the end of a rain bow for great fabrics. One of my friends has a shop in an old part of her town and has been in business for over fifteen years and we always go visit her shop and she has made a name for herself... So it can be done...

Lots to think about.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Most of all....listen w/a grain of salt....:)Here's a good question for all...why do you go to your LQS??And, if you didn't have one, but, 'one' in your town w/the others forever in a drive...what kept you going back to your LQS?

For me personally...I love being around other quilters..thumbing thru 'stuff'...:)There is nothing better then hanging out w/others that like quilting as much as me and to see what they are making, etc....oh, and, just because of that...I ended up buying more then what I started out to get:)LOL If I had a new LQS in our area...I wouldn't expect to walk in and have it all!! I'd be pleased in the start up of serious basics...thread, needles, notions that are fun would be a plus...and, basics of fabric like muslin..white and off white...fusing...and, some basic starts of colors...I would be thrilled to visit!!:)
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Oh one more thing wrong with this lady's quilt store. The lighting is horrible!!! I feel half blind everytime I have gone in that store, and it is a new building. Very poor planning.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 PM

I agree. having the basic tools is very helpful and having people to talk "quilting" with is very inspiring. Soooooooo maybe one of the things we should mention about becoming an owner of a quilt shop is that it is very helpful to customers to have a knowledgeable person to speak with and probably affects sales. I think most of us probably spend more than we were planning to spend when we are out shopping for our quilting supplies or maybe I'm just a sucker for thinking I need to have whatever someone has just told me works so very well.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 PM

hi i live in Emma MO 35 min or moor from any walmart or fabric store all the walmart's that promised they would keep fabric, are and did not ! all the walmart's out side of the east side of kc mo are not keeping the fabric i was thinking about selling fabric out of my sewing room in my basement and offering machine quilting services i have also considered letting the customers quilt there own if they want of course they would use may batting because i buy by the roll it's already on the frame,also i would be by their side just in case ANY IN PUT??? :)
Old 11-21-2009, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by memathomas
hi i live in Emma MO 35 min or moor from any walmart or fabric store all the walmart's that promised they would keep fabric, are and did not ! all the walmart's out side of the east side of kc mo are not keeping the fabric i was thinking about selling fabric out of my sewing room in my basement and offering machine quilting services i have also considered letting the customers quilt there own if they want of course they would use may batting because i buy by the roll it's already on the frame,also i would be by their side just in case ANY IN PUT??? :)
I say if you have a seperate outlet to that room and a seperate bathroom from your living area...then go for it!:)Start out w/what you would use anyhow;)Batting is a good idea!LOL And, if you do this...pm me...we just might have to drive over and see you some day!! Skeat...west of you:)
Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I can never seem to find LQS open on Sundays. Since I hate football, and several of friends do as well, we would like to have "fabric shopping Sundays". No luck! Are there quilt shops open on Sundays where you live?
Nope....unless it is a Superbowl Sunday...then we have one that opens w/sales...:)
Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 AM

Marshall Dry Goods In Batesville. Look on the website then call them. Ask for Pat. He will get you a better deal. By the way, they also bought out all of Walmart's stock of fabrics so they have a whole new warehouse of goodies. They also have fabric they make. It is good fabric. Tell him a woman from Ashdown sent you.