View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Now in my retirement years, I am finding my collection of magazines and books burdensome. I am gradually going through them and donating to Goodwill, friends of the library, etc. My magazine collections go back to the 1980's!

I think it depends where you are in life whether magazines and books for a personal collection are worthwhile. I already have more printed patterns than I can complete in a lifetime, so I really do not need more.

Recently I tried a digital subscription to Quilter's World and was able to download something like 10 years' worth of old issues in addition to receiving the current issues for a year. I am liking this a *lot*! However, the other magazines I have checked use different (and more complicated) download or access arrangements. I like having the magazines on my hard disc forever; I don't want to have to log on to someone's website to access issues I have bought.

When I need a "fix" now, I go to the library and check out some books and magazines. I might still buy a magazine if it has a quilt I just have to make right now, but the "right now" qualification is limiting. I used to buy magazines for quilts I might want to make "someday" and don't do that anymore.