Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online vs Magazines vs Books >

Online vs Magazines vs Books

Online vs Magazines vs Books

Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I do not like magazines. This pretty much means all magazines not just quilting ones. They have become so full of ads and have such a small amount of actual content that I can't see paying the price for them.

Books are wonderful but take up too much space and need to be dusted.

I can find just about anything I want to know about quilting for free on the internet. Usually, by just coming here and asking the experts.
Now, don't get me wrong, I do like looking at some of the ads in quilting magazines, but then when I think about how much is paid for the add, and how much I pay for prescriptions...it does get to being kind of irritating.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
Now, don't get me wrong, I do like looking at some of the ads in quilting magazines, but then when I think about how much is paid for the add, and how much I pay for prescriptions...it does get to being kind of irritating.
I meant 'ad' not 'add.'
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by bdiver403 View Post
I pray we never ever give up the chance to hold a book or magazine or to read one, or to smell it. There is history there between our hands, not only in what we are holding, but in the writing of, and description of what someone has taken the patience to explain to us on how to put together and sew and what the outcome can be or become to someone so special in our life. ?
Amen, bdiver403! There is NOTHING like the smell of a book. Nothing. An e-reader is never going to do it for me, and I'm a techno-junkie. I've pretty much let all my magazines lapse. Too many ads. And most of the patterns out there today are knockoffs of traditional patterns, with just a tweak. Those I have fun trying to re-create in EQ. If I'm successful, great. If not, well, I've probably learned something in EQ. I'd rather save my money for fabric!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM

I always loved quilting magazines. Couldn't wait for the next one. (I subscribed to several) Gradually, as their prices went up, I noticed that over the years there was a lot of repetition. If I saw one more easy way to make 1/2sq. Triangles, I thought I'd scream. Then I noticed new things on line. Innovative, easy, broke a few "rules" and it was free. Then I found this board and I was hooked. YouTube was my new best friend and my evenings were spent with my iPad. Still subscribe to 1 mag. Just for old time sake, and enjoy it but it's a "pleasent 1-afternoon" kind of thing. The Internet has become my go-to for quilting.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM

I use to have subscriptions to magazines but only buy them now if there is a particular pattern that I want to make. I use online but still prefer books and magazines.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:07 AM

I love quilting books (especially from my favorite designers, like Kim Diehl, or my favorite design, like Log Cabin, or my favorite style, like Primitive). I collect these sort of books almost as much as I do fabric!

I love thumbing through magazines for inspiration, but they get too cluttery so I usually just rip out the patterns, pictures, or articles I just can't live without!

BUT, I received a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for Christmas, and it isnow my new best friend. I'm able to instantly download a pattern (usually FREE). And it conveniently sits right next to me and my macine. No more struggling to keep books open to the right page, or realizing too late that you've either lost or failed to rip out the last page of instructions that you threw away months ago.

So for me, online is the way of the future. So of course that means I've got to hurry up and collect as many books as possible on my wish list before they are no longer in print!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Over the 40 yrs I've been quilting, I've collected MANY magazines and books.A few years ago I started clipping the articles and pictures I liked, and I save those in binders. I decided to prune the mags this yr and found that the earliest ones have very little that I want to save. I spent too much money on books to prune them. Don't belong to a guild, so they'll remain on my shelves. Since I discovered Pinteresst (big sucking black hole where I spend too much time every day - more than I ever spend here on the board - LOL), I'll never buy another magazine or book again.