Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online vs Magazines vs Books >

Online vs Magazines vs Books

Online vs Magazines vs Books

Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM

As a relatively new quilter almost all my info has come from this board. Thank you all you wonderful people!!!!

Initially I did also have some magazines given me by a friend. However I find that magazines can be fragile as they age, especially if a young grandchild is around! Also much of the info in the magazines was not what really suited my interest, although I did get ideas that sparked my creativity in ways the authors probably never would have recognized as related to what they wrote.

Now that I have an iPhone, I use the "notes" feature to keep up with links to designs I might want to try at some future date. Very handy and always with me.

All that said, even though I have EQ7 on my computer, I find that I still prefer drawing out designs on quadrille graph paper with hand written notes as to cutting info - like "2 ea 2-1/2 x 4-1/2 and 4 ea 2-1/2 sq of each color, can get x sets per 2-1/2 x WOF strip."
Find it interesting that some of the designs I used to color in on graph paper as a teen I now recognize as quilt designs!

So I'm not totally a techie, but sure rely on it a lot. BTW - my second computer was a Commador 64. Don't remember what the model of the littleTI that I plugged into my TV monitor was.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Swap Hosts

In the evening when I'm relaxing, I want a magazine or book in my hands, not something glowing. Granted I'm biased, coming from a family who worked in publishing and a house full of books and magazines.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM

I discontinued my magazine subscriptions several years ago... so much seemed the same or in styles not to my taste. The internet does have a seemingly limitless bounty of patterns and inspiration. That being said I have kept my library of old magazines and books. I love to periodically peruse these pages, and find it very relaxing in a way the internet does not offer. I do miss the delight of finding a fresh issue of a magazine found in my mailbox on a day that is unpredictable. I do not miss the disappointment of opening the magazine only to find the contents consists of re-run patterns and ever increasing advertizement that started to become previlent.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 AM

I, too have a lot of patterns etc saved on my computer, and I love the utubes, but I have to have books to sit and go through. I find my taste changes and so some patterns seem "new" to me even if I have read it before. I also take books to my appointments as I am chauffeur, too. for my parents
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 AM

Online is fine but if you download like I was doing and have your computer stolen all is lost. I paid for some pattern and lost them along with my computer. I will never again pay for something that I have to download. There are free patterns in most of our quilting magazines, I cut them out and put them in binders. I don't think a thief will break into my home to steal my patterns. I use my computer to find information and I print it if I think I will need it again.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 AM

I like having books and magazines in my hand. I can read them anywhere and enjoy that rather than having something online.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 AM

IMO - I really believe when we subscribe to hard copy magazines, we should get the digital copy FREE, rather than having to pay dual fees. A few of my "other" (non-quilting) subscriptions allow me to view digitally, and I appreciate it. For magazines that do not, I'm seriously considering going to digital-only. The sad thing about doing digital only is that when enough people go this route, it will eventually put a lot of people who have anything to do with the magazine, sales, delivery, etc., out of work.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I prefer online. BUT if I'm out and about and see a magazine (fairly inexpensive) and it has a pattern with a lot of detail, I just might purchase it. It goes into my file drawer for future reference. I have some quilt books that a couple I've purchased at the store or estate sales. In those books I usually insert a tab on the page of the project and the tab is of course marked. One of the books I purchased was a $25.00 book that I paid $3.00 for and worth more than the $25.00. Has templates and patterns. Nice size templates with instructions on how to increase/decrease the size of the templates. I often take these books with me for reading material.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 AM

I pray we never ever give up the chance to hold a book or magazine or to read one, or to smell it. There is history there between our hands, not only in what we are holding, but in the writing of, and description of what someone has taken the patience to explain to us on how to put together and sew and what the outcome can be or become to someone so special in our life. This is a gift and a treasure I hope we never give up. Computers may be great, but they have viruses, Trojans and the like and are so aggravating when we just don't have the time for them to be so. We have lost out on the personal touch by computers. With a book or magazine you can hold it and still talk to someone in the room and still be civil to the people around you. How many do you see doing this with computers or these hand held cell phones or hand held computers that have all these different applications such as your magazines you were speaking of on them?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 AM

I love it all. I have found lots of great free stuff on the internet. If I find something in a magazine that I like I cut it out and pass the magazine on or through it out. But I love my books the best.