Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online vs Magazines vs Books >

Online vs Magazines vs Books

Online vs Magazines vs Books

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Oh I think online is so wonderful, most sites are so generous allowing people to print off designs etc. I find magazines are too full of ads . there are still the same copyright restrictions but that is fine. Videos on utube are so fantastic and you can save and view again. As a 73 year old I find it all so marvellous, disability bars me from attending many classes. All in all how fortunate we are to have all these things available to us. x Letty
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Real magazines are my choice. I really am not interested in on-line magazines. There is something about being able to hold on to something and continue getting ideas. Old-fashioned, I guess.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mamia View Post
Online is fine but if you download like I was doing and have your computer stolen all is lost. I paid for some pattern and lost them along with my computer. I will never again pay for something that I have to download. There are free patterns in most of our quilting magazines, I cut them out and put them in binders. I don't think a thief will break into my home to steal my patterns. I use my computer to find information and I print it if I think I will need it again.
Oh no! That stinks!! I use carbonite so everything is backed up on my computer, but it still would stink to have that happen. It's a huge pain to restore a backup too-it takes a LONG time.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM

I think books in general are becoming obsolete. 20 years from now there won't be any books. And magazines are, like you said, advertising.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 AM

I love them all...books, magazines, online, etc. However, in the interest of keeping the brain overload down, I have narrowed down my subscriptions down to two magazines and try to avoid buying books since there is a lot of good information online.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 AM

I use all medias for quilting, I like books the best, as I can refer back to a project specific page and refresh my memory. I have files of patterns that I have printed out from the internet, and I use them also. But nothing beats the tactile enjoyment I get from holding a "book", and "feeling" the quilt pictured with my fingers. I am lucky that book cases are in every room in this house (lots of thrift store finds).
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Barbwork View Post

Do you think there's as much (or more) pertinent information to be found online; videos on utube; quilting sites with patterns, tutorials, etc.

It seems to me that with all that's online FREE, that you can access immediately, with a few key strokes, that the other sources are becoming relics and dust collectors.

What is your preference? What do you think of the future of books and magazines?
I love Pinterest and the You Tube videos....I don't even feel the need to take classes anymore, just find a YT vid! BUT...I love my books, especially love the smell of a new book! And magazines? Nothing beats being able to browse through a quilt mag for ideas. I have an iPad and a laptop, but they are not as convenient to carry around, or hold for long periods of time. I grew up in a family that loved, loved books and when my children were growing up we owned an old Victorian home with a library and I had over 4,000 books! Did I say I love books? That was the single most difficult thing to give up when we downsized. I now probably have 3-400 books....Only non-fiction...I don't read fiction. The day books are gone will be a sad, sad, sad day! Books last 1,000's of years...where will your digital copy be in 10?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 AM

It is a personal preference, but I want the magazine. I drag them out periodically, and go through each and every one of them. They give me such pleasure and I don't need electric to view and use the patterns.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 AM

I love books and magazines and buy a lot. I can only read from a computer screen a short while before my eyes start to hurt and I have a very hard time reading for long. I can read from books all day so that is where I go for information and pleasure reading.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM

I love the sewing tutorials on You Tube, and the on-line classes, like Annie's and Craftsy. I also like the on-line information and patterns I can access. The problem is, until I get a new computer (mine died), I can neither save nor print anything on line ;-(. Don't know when that will be. But even then, I can only print in black and white. There is just something about the colorful photos in magazines that help me to "see" a quilt, and imagine it in different colors. For some reason, I can't do this on line. I have one on-line magazine, but the majority of the rest come from buying quilting magazines from eBay and other similar places. You can get a number of magazines for less than the cost of one or two in the store. I just love leafing through magazines, over and over and over again, so I feel any purchases are worth it for magazines. I sure don't have to worry about books. I went to an estate sale and bought out an entire collection of quilting books from a woman who had quilted for 40 years. Purchased the entire lot for (gasp!) $10. It was the afternoon of the last day of the estate sale, and the family just wanted to get rid of them so they wouldn't have to deal with them. Forget the 6-foot bookshelves! I have books all over the house, and I am loving going through them. So much fun to get a book that is 50 years old, and see the manner of quilting back then, and see if I could do the same blocks as paper piecing, foundation or Jelly Roll friendly. What a riot! And she had new books as well. I swear she was buying books right up to the day she died. My husband does not entirely understand my obsession. LOL! But he does appreciate that it's important to me.

I guess I'm saying I'll take quilting information from any source!

Last edited by MacThayer; 07-02-2013 at 12:11 PM.