View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Gerbie

I definitely understand your frustation. I prewashed all the fabrics, greens with the center set for the joing rings in mauve with a very expensive ($12.00 a yard- for me at least)beautiful cream with specks of green in the backing and background in a wedding ring quilt I made for my DD several years ago. I did not find any color transfer on anything including the color catcher sheets I used. However later when I planned to enter this queen sized quilt in our annual quilt show at the fall fair, just to show, not as a ribbon contender, I washed it in a large capacity washer at the local local laundry mat, because of the size of the quilt. It was washed in cold water, and not dried in a dryer, but much to my dismay one of the greens bled on various spots of the quilt, I have yet to be able to get the dye out of the cream on this quilt. The only reason it was washed prior to the event, was because she has cats and I did not want the cat hair or smell of the animals on the quilt that I wanted to display. I have tried everything since then to get the color runs out, but to no avail. This quilt has only been washed in cold water and never put in dryer. I was horrified, as I had spent over a year ( I was working full time then and only had some evenings and weekends to work on this quilt) on this as a surprise Christmas gift, and then this happened. The dye transfer from the greens are still there I never did find out for sure which green or greens bled. I tried every suggestion I could find, but nothing has taken that green out, and it is scattered throughout the quilt in various spots. Now I still prewash all of my fabrics, but add Retayne and use color catchers to check my fabrics before I put them into a quilt of any size. Now I will not use any fabric that has a tendancy to bleed. I always prewash. Too much time is spent on our quilts to have this problem occur.

Last edited by Gerbie; 07-08-2013 at 05:25 AM.