Thread: Bobbin Winders
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I improved the first version of the Sidewinder. Take the screws out and put heavy weight (I found a piece of heavy metal in DH's shop that fit) in the case. It keeps the winder very sturdy and upright. Also remember the knob, that has no marking at all what it is, will adjust the tension of the winding. I haven't seen the newer model of the Sidewinder.

I was surprised how many do not know that in some older machines you have to turn the wheel on the fly wheel to disengage the clutch so the needle won't sew when winding a bobbin.
Thank for tip on weight of sidewinder. My older model of Viking has a better bobbin system than the "now" machines have....get to bobbin from side not top, could do a bobbin while still keeping work under needle in progress and use other thread to wind bobbin. I too dislike having to remove thread from paths, do bobbin, then retread.... I try to wind a whole donut of bobbins. Either before start of sewing day begins or at end....I do most of my everyday bobbins in white or off white for piecing.......