Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Winders

Bobbin Winders

I was told by someone recently that you should not use the bobbin winder on your sewing machine, that it does something to the machine. You should use a bobbin winder. I haven't looked into bobbin winders yet but this person said that a friend of theirs uses a bobbin winder that cost $125.00. Has anyone ever heard this before? And what do you think of bobbin winders?

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. Was this person who told you this also trying to sell you the bobbin winder??? If it "does something" to the machine, then why are the machines designed and manufactured with this feature? Smells like horse manure to me.

Blog Entries
    I agree with peckish, and want to further comment....there are some great bobbin winders out there for $20/30
    http://www.joann.com/wrights-sidewin...te/xprd315882/

i have a fancier one that I need for winding my Long Arm bobbins cause they do not wind bobbins on the machine.

Now I will say, I use my Embroidery/Sewing combo machine to wind bobbins, it does it with a simple click rather than being run via the foot pedal. I find that the bobbins are wound more consistently and work better than the foot pedal ones. But that is me

And whomever told you that, they may not know there are other options.

Btw....the $100 bobbin winders that I have seen are the long arm ones that have speed control to ensure that the bobbins have perfect tension......cause with LA's it is ALL about the tension!

I don't think I would listen to anything that person says. Some people like to get separate bobbin winders for various reasons (such as for a longarm, or because the bobbin winder on their sewing machine is broken), but I've never heard of a bobbin winder doing "something" to a machine. Maybe sometime, somewhere, (in a galaxy far far away?) there was a sewing machine that didn't get along with its bobbin winder, and that's the cause of this advice?

The person who told me this, her friend does have a Long Arm and maybe the friend was talking about her Long Arm and not a regular sewing machine. I'm not going to pay over $100.00 for a bobbin winder. And as long as I have been sewing my machines have always ran good. Just wanted to know if anyone else heard of this. Thanks for the information. I may just buy one of the cheaper bobbin winders because it is a pain to stop and wind bobbins in the middle of a project.

I have bobbin winders from K-Kraft and they are wonderful. I also have the bobbin winder that came with my Babylock Crown Jewel, also wonderful. The Crown Jewel does not have a bobbin winder on the machine. I really like my bobbin winders but I do not see why you can not use the bobbin winder on your machine. I just think it is personal thing.

I didn't have much luck using the SideWinder bobbin winder. I have a Bernina, and I can only use their bobbins, so don't know if that's the problem, but anyway, I wind all my bobbins on the machine now.

For the past 4 years I have used a side winder from JoAnn's $25 with coupon and love, love, love, it!!! I have a 1926 singer treadle, an Elna from the 30's, Sears Kenmore from 50's, Janome from 1996 and a 2010 Tin Lizzy (Tin lizzy's bobbins will only 1/2 fill before turning off). I have never had a problem with bobbins wound on the side winder.

I've sewn for years and always used the bobbin winder on my machine. Never had an issue!

The SideWinder bobbin winder will not work if you have a Viking machine. I've been using my machines to wind bobbins for over 50 years and have several brands of machines and I've never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    My friend has a machine with a bobbin winder on her machine but she insists on using her battery operated one because she finds it difficult threading the machine because of poor eye sight. Another friend can't understand why she uses it when there is a good winder on her machine. I have one and would throw it through the nearest window if I ever used it again.reason it makes such a mess of the winding and takes so long..we all have our own reasons to use what we do.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have a bobbin winder- only use it sometimes.
    I usually by by bobbins prewound. 8 or 10 bobbins for around $5.50. They seem to last a long time. Guess I do not quilt enough because a package last me about a year.
    They are the Class 15 style - 100% cotton.
    I know I can order online cheaper- but then you have to get so many of them.

Blog Entries
    the older sewing machines had the ability to disengage the needle head from the wheel, so when you wound the bobbin, you weren't 'sewing'. Some of the newer machines don't have this feature so you 'air sew' when you wind the bobbin. My mom got one of the newer machines and was used to the older version and was very concerned about running her machine excessively when winding a bobbin. Don't know if this is why your friend made the comment. Don't think it actually hurts the machine, although I did get a stand alone winder for my long arm because it was disconcerting!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

The Pfaff 2140 had a bad bobbin winding system. Pfaff did issue a fix, but the Sidewinder does a better job. The 2144 does not have this problem. (both have vertical bobbins)

The Sidewinder is still handy. I always forget to wind extra bobbins for almost all sewing, so I use the Sidewinder rather than disrupt the threading - although you can wind those Pfaffs through the needle. The Sidewinder takes almost every bobbin, I have a collection of old metal ones that I use for the serger. You can wind specialty threads for a small job with the loopers, or one bobbin will do a Tshirt on the needle side.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I have bobbin winders from K-Kraft and they are wonderful. I also have the bobbin winder that came with my Babylock Crown Jewel, also wonderful. The Crown Jewel does not have a bobbin winder on the machine. I really like my bobbin winders but I do not see why you can not use the bobbin winder on your machine. I just think it is personal thing.
    Thanks Mighty, I got a bobbin winder with my Innova....LOVE the Innova, the bobbin winder not so much! I think I will order a K-Kraft. They look sturdy...and I won't have to wait 5 mins to get a bobbin!

http://fancyquilt.com

I paid $20.00 for mine, works fine. Haven't had any problems with it winding, or when sewing with the bobbins. Its gone up in price tho, but not more than $10.00.

I have a Pfaff and the sidewinder does not work for its bobbins. It winds them the wrong direction. I've tried turning the bobbin upside down but it still doesn't work.

Blog Entries
    I improved the first version of the Sidewinder. Take the screws out and put heavy weight (I found a piece of heavy metal in DH's shop that fit) in the case. It keeps the winder very sturdy and upright. Also remember the knob, that has no marking at all what it is, will adjust the tension of the winding. I haven't seen the newer model of the Sidewinder.

I was surprised how many do not know that in some older machines you have to turn the wheel on the fly wheel to disengage the clutch so the needle won't sew when winding a bobbin.
    Got fabric?

I have a Pfaff and a sidewinder and have never had a problem with either winding the bobbins. Or having them wound backwards.

I also have this side winder - got it as a giftie from a fellow quilt buddy. Don't know what I'd do without it! It's quick and convenient!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    For the past 4 years I have used a side winder from JoAnn's $25 with coupon and love, love, love, it!!! I have a 1926 singer treadle, an Elna from the 30's, Sears Kenmore from 50's, Janome from 1996 and a 2010 Tin Lizzy (Tin lizzy's bobbins will only 1/2 fill before turning off). I have never had a problem with bobbins wound on the side winder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
    I agree with peckish, and want to further comment....there are some great bobbin winders out there for $20/30
    http://www.joann.com/wrights-sidewin...te/xprd315882/

i have a fancier one that I need for winding my Long Arm bobbins cause they do not wind bobbins on the machine.

Now I will say, I use my Embroidery/Sewing combo machine to wind bobbins, it does it with a simple click rather than being run via the foot pedal. I find that the bobbins are wound more consistently and work better than the foot pedal ones. But that is me

And whomever told you that, they may not know there are other options.

Btw....the $100 bobbin winders that I have seen are the long arm ones that have speed control to ensure that the bobbins have perfect tension......cause with LA's it is ALL about the tension!
    I have the SideWinder from JoAnn's and I love it. I added more bobbins to my collection and do up about 15 extra bobbins and always have them on hand - until, of course, I run out and then it is a nice relaxing time, just making up more bobbins. It goes fast, and if you can't be right on top of it, it stops automatically when the bobbin is filled. Very simple, very easy. I have had mine for about five years now and haven't had one smidgeon of trouble and if I did, I wouldn't think twice about getting another one.

Oh, yah, I heard the same thing about not using your bobbin winder on your machine. So I don't. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't, but for 50% off on a Sidewinder, it is worth it to me. Happy sewing! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    The SideWinder bobbin winder will not work if you have a Viking machine. I've been using my machines to wind bobbins for over 50 years and have several brands of machines and I've never had a problem.
    I have 2 Vikings that I wind bobbins for. I bought the SideWinder Deluxe for $30 (regular price is $99), just because I read the same thing. I use it for my Viking 1+ which has a shaped bobbin. They have a special post for them. I tried it, it worked fine, but they also wind on the regular post. I have found that I use a thread stand (I use mostly cones) and wrap the thread twice around the upper arm to get a tight enough tension on the bobbin. I also have the tensioner on the bobbin winder tightened right down. I love mine. I screwed up the tension on my old Viking which I used to wind bobbins for my Bailey. It's fixed now, but I'm not going to do that again.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

The Viking 1+ and the Pfaff 2100 series have vertical bobbins. So does the 1500S.
    The sidewinders may not work with the newer Pfaffs and Vikings that have drop-in bobbins although they do seem to work with older Babylock and Brother dropins, like the PC 6500 and the Ellure of the same vintage.

Some say that the name on the Pfaff bobbin needs to be on top. I've never noticed. The generic bobbins for the 2100 series aren't labelled and work just fine. The first Pfaff I had, the 1471, made no difference, neither did the 1475.
    Last edited by Weezy Rider; 07-08-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    You ladies are SOOOOO SMART.....This has been a fun read--and I had a LOL moment with Dunster's comment. I don't know how to do the brackets thing to bring it down here for me to show you what she said--you'll have to scroll back up to her posting......I could make all the comments that were made all through this post. Been there, done that, been sewing for 60 years (and have had the LA tension problems big time)......
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I'm afraid I have to agree with Peckish. I've been sewing a long time - well before bobbin winders came out. They do do something to your machine - lets it sew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast