Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Winders >

Bobbin Winders

Bobbin Winders

Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I agree with peckish, and want to further comment....there are some great bobbin winders out there for $20/30
http://www.joann.com/wrights-sidewin...te/xprd315882/

i have a fancier one that I need for winding my Long Arm bobbins cause they do not wind bobbins on the machine.

Now I will say, I use my Embroidery/Sewing combo machine to wind bobbins, it does it with a simple click rather than being run via the foot pedal. I find that the bobbins are wound more consistently and work better than the foot pedal ones. But that is me

And whomever told you that, they may not know there are other options.

Btw....the $100 bobbin winders that I have seen are the long arm ones that have speed control to ensure that the bobbins have perfect tension......cause with LA's it is ALL about the tension!
I have the SideWinder from JoAnn's and I love it. I added more bobbins to my collection and do up about 15 extra bobbins and always have them on hand - until, of course, I run out and then it is a nice relaxing time, just making up more bobbins. It goes fast, and if you can't be right on top of it, it stops automatically when the bobbin is filled. Very simple, very easy. I have had mine for about five years now and haven't had one smidgeon of trouble and if I did, I wouldn't think twice about getting another one.

Oh, yah, I heard the same thing about not using your bobbin winder on your machine. So I don't. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't, but for 50% off on a Sidewinder, it is worth it to me. Happy sewing! Edie
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
The SideWinder bobbin winder will not work if you have a Viking machine. I've been using my machines to wind bobbins for over 50 years and have several brands of machines and I've never had a problem.
I have 2 Vikings that I wind bobbins for. I bought the SideWinder Deluxe for $30 (regular price is $99), just because I read the same thing. I use it for my Viking 1+ which has a shaped bobbin. They have a special post for them. I tried it, it worked fine, but they also wind on the regular post. I have found that I use a thread stand (I use mostly cones) and wrap the thread twice around the upper arm to get a tight enough tension on the bobbin. I also have the tensioner on the bobbin winder tightened right down. I love mine. I screwed up the tension on my old Viking which I used to wind bobbins for my Bailey. It's fixed now, but I'm not going to do that again.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 AM

The Viking 1+ and the Pfaff 2100 series have vertical bobbins. So does the 1500S.
The sidewinders may not work with the newer Pfaffs and Vikings that have drop-in bobbins although they do seem to work with older Babylock and Brother dropins, like the PC 6500 and the Ellure of the same vintage.

Some say that the name on the Pfaff bobbin needs to be on top. I've never noticed. The generic bobbins for the 2100 series aren't labelled and work just fine. The first Pfaff I had, the 1471, made no difference, neither did the 1475.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 07-08-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 AM

You ladies are SOOOOO SMART.....This has been a fun read--and I had a LOL moment with Dunster's comment. I don't know how to do the brackets thing to bring it down here for me to show you what she said--you'll have to scroll back up to her posting......I could make all the comments that were made all through this post. Been there, done that, been sewing for 60 years (and have had the LA tension problems big time)......
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 AM

I'm afraid I have to agree with Peckish. I've been sewing a long time - well before bobbin winders came out. They do do something to your machine - lets it sew.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

The Sidewinder kept my 10 year old DGD busy all summer long. When she left I had a shoe box full of wound bobbins. We bought every bobbin Walmart had in stock that summer. LOL My guild is still using the bobbins for handsewing.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I improved the first version of the Sidewinder. Take the screws out and put heavy weight (I found a piece of heavy metal in DH's shop that fit) in the case. It keeps the winder very sturdy and upright. Also remember the knob, that has no marking at all what it is, will adjust the tension of the winding. I haven't seen the newer model of the Sidewinder.

I was surprised how many do not know that in some older machines you have to turn the wheel on the fly wheel to disengage the clutch so the needle won't sew when winding a bobbin.
Thank for tip on weight of sidewinder. My older model of Viking has a better bobbin system than the "now" machines have....get to bobbin from side not top, could do a bobbin while still keeping work under needle in progress and use other thread to wind bobbin. I too dislike having to remove thread from paths, do bobbin, then retread.... I try to wind a whole donut of bobbins. Either before start of sewing day begins or at end....I do most of my everyday bobbins in white or off white for piecing.......
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
I don't know how to do the brackets thing
Off topic.... if you click "reply with quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote, you will get the brackets thing.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of such a thing regarding using your machine winder.. I do have two bobbin winders and I love them..They are very handy to have because they save time. I paid less than 20 dollars for them. Never heard of one for 125.00
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM

There is a SideWinder Deluxe $99 range at Jo ann's. I did purchase that model, the smaller $25 w/coupon version did not work with my Pfaff 2044, I like my Bobbin Winder, I prefer just to sit and make a plethora of bobbins at the beginning of a project. The deluxe will work with the bobbins from my Singer 15-91 too.
i had heard that using the bobbin winder on the machine did put wear and tear on the motor, can't tell you wear i heard it...it did not make a whole lot of sense to me, but in an effort to savior my machine i do use the Winder.
I think my machine may have the ability to fill a bobbin from the spool while sewing or something to that effect... need to study up on that option.