Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Winders

Does anyone use bobbin winders. I've tried the sidewinder but my bobbins don't fit on it.
    I'd like to get a better one. Any suggestions? What kind do you use?

I just use the bobbin winding feature on the sewing machine. While I'm winding the bobbin, I use the little "broom" and clean out the bobbin case and the area around where you put the bobbin in. I even lift the stitch plate and clean the lint out from under it. So I use the bobbin winding time to give my little machine some TLC.

what kind of bobbin u use i use the sidewinder and i love it

cjc
    I got a Sidewinder for Christmas. I think it is great. No more unthreading my machine when I run out of bobbin thread.

I have a Sidewinder. but the metal bobins won't settle all the way on!!
    I broke the little wire!! :?

Blog Entries
    I bought the sidewinder but it would not work with my bobbins. I have a Designer 1 sewing machinge.

I think they are a waste of money. Every machine will wind a bobbin. I wind five at a time. While winding I can clean my bobbin case, oil the machine, clean up the area around my machine or call a friend. I would rather spend the $25 to 30 on FABRIC! To never run out of wound bobbins; when a sewing session is done just wind any empy bobbins you have before turning off your machine. I have a set in light gray and dark gray. I do all my pieceing and sewing with these two colors. I used to by matching thread for everything I did......was that crazy or what.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    check with shoppersrule.com, they were advertising a bobbin winder for the "rest" of the machines that wouldn't fit on the first one that came out. My GF has a viking and her bobbins wouldn't fit on mine. I use mine alot

I use my sidewinder. I used the one on my machine until I got the sidewinder with a coupon. :? It works for my Janome and my Featherwieght.

I love my sidewinder, and use it all the time. I hated having to thread and unthread my machine.

Ninnie

I don't have to unthread my machine to wind a bobbin. I do like some of the others and wind a whole bunch of bobbins at the same time so I don't have to stop and wind in the middle of a project

Blog Entries
    i bought a sidewinder. it was fun for a while, but it's been back in the box for months. since i don't need to unthread my machines to wind bobbins, it didn't really save me any time or effort.

but, of course, if i had never bought it, i'd STILL be itching to. sometimes a girl just has to get things out of her system. :lol:

I only got the sidewinder cause it was given to me when I got my machine. I'm the kind that fills 15-20 bobbins before a project. I hate to stop & wind bobbins!! :evil:

I just use my machine, which reminds me. I should wind some more soon.

My one machine has a seperate winder on top, it has it's own motor and everything, plus a different threading spot, so you don't have to unthread the machine to wind bobbins, unless you only have the one spool of thread. My big machine came with it's own independant bobbin winder and it is really fast, i have not tired to do anything but the bobbins for the big machine on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoquilt
    I bought the sidewinder but it would not work with my bobbins. I have a Designer 1 sewing machinge.
    I have the pink Sidewinder - it will wind the D1 bobbins (the white ones don't), but they have to be put on upside down (hard for us to get used to, I know!) It does a decent job of winding when I don't feel like fiddling with the winder on the D1. It's the only part of my machine I don't love :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie1948
    I think they are a waste of money. Every machine will wind a bobbin. I wind five at a time. While winding I can clean my bobbin case, oil the machine, clean up the area around my machine or call a friend. I would rather spend the $25 to 30 on FABRIC! To never run out of wound bobbins; when a sewing session is done just wind any empy bobbins you have before turning off your machine. I have a set in light gray and dark gray. I do all my pieceing and sewing with these two colors. I used to by matching thread for everything I did......was that crazy or what.
    Connie
    I got a side winder recently and i love it. I need one because my sewing machine is an antique Singer and the winder on it does not work.
    So some of us can't do it on the sewing machine. I also like the fact that i do not have to unthread and rethread to wind bobbins. I wind 30 at a time and then I only have to stop to rewind once in awhile.

I love my side winder but it does say that not all machines will work with it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Roben, I will look for a pink one. I bought the white one and took it back.

I love my sidewinder. I use it all the time. I got mine on sale 40% off so it wasn't a big investment and I feel it has paid for itself by saving me the time and effort of unthreading my machine to wind a bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by cjc
    I got a Sidewinder for Christmas. I think it is great. No more unthreading my machine when I run out of bobbin thread.
    I just wind and stack mine off my machine...and, the only prob I think to using a sidewinder is the thread I would have to wind would prob already be on my machine..thus cutting it off to sidewind:)LOL I know several that have them and like them...I'm personally sticking w/what I know and have:)Skeat

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Quote Originally Posted by cjc
    I just wind and stack mine off my machine...and, the only prob I think to using a sidewinder is the thread I would have to wind would prob already be on my machine..thus cutting it off to sidewind:)LOL I know several that have them and like them...I'm personally sticking w/what I know and have:)Skeat
    I avoid this problem by buying two spools of thread in the same color, one for my machine and one for my sidewinder.

I have an old Pfaff and didn't have to rethread to wind a bobbin. However, the bobbin winder part quit working recently and I bought a sidewinder rather than have to do without my machine for weeks for the repair. I really like the sidewinder, I can wind many bobbins very fast. My bobbins don't really fit WELL on the thing, I have to force them on there pretty hard. Getting them off is harder. I figure eventually it will wear in. Or I will break the thing, one or the other.

Hi,

I have a Sidewinder, but don't use it much as my bobbins wind fuller on my machine.
    Also one of my machines has a separate winding deal so I can actually wind a bobbin while I continue sewing or embroidering....unless I need the color I am sewing with, that is! LOL

Bev

Blog Entries
    I had a repair man tell me that these were the way to go. He said that a $30 machine made to wind bobbins was cheaper than having to repair a bobbin winder on the newer machines. He said it was like a vcr, that is the first part to go :wink:

I love the Side Winder that I bought when it first came out. I take it with me to class and it gets used and used by everyone at class or group. My bobbin winder on my machine quit working so I took it in to have it fixed ...almost $100 later I had a new bobbin winder that filled 7 bobbins then never worked again! For me, the Side Winder was a lifesaver and I will never be without one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast