Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bobbin Winders

If your machine is a Viking or Pfaff you need the PINK Sidewinder. It works on those bobbins, if you turn the bobbin upside-down.

I used to have another machine sitting next to me to wind bobbins while I was sewing on another...silly huh? Then I discovered prewound bobbins. WOW, 144 of them at a time. Awesome! Be sure to select the correct one that fits your machine. Be aware that there are 2 sizes.
    My Janome states that it is almost out of bobbin thread when I use a prewound but after checking you can see that it is not.
    Ladies and gentlemen it is worth the money!

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I bought one of the white sidewinders. I knew my Viking (Quilt Designer - green ones) bobbins wouldn't work on it but I have 3 other machines that I can use it for. I didn't realize the pink one would do Viking bobbins until reading this. I won't buy another one tho. I just buy 2 spools of thread and wind a bunch of bobbins before I start a project so I don't have to stop and rewind. Machine is easy to thread but I get frustrated having to stop when I'm on a roll during a project.

Banned
    I love my Sidewinder, of course it's partly because it allows me to use my Grandmother's 1963 Singer to do my piecing! The bobbin winder on that machine no longer works and parts are not available to fix it. Wish it had an adapter for those large spools of machine quilting thread, though!

I have a designer I and a sidewinder bobbin winder and I got it to work but had to really force my bobbin on it. First ones I wound on it I wound backwards. It is easier to just use the machine.

I also have a Janome and the sidewinder works great on these bobbins. However when I tried to wind the Featherweight bobbins they got stuck and I was afraid I would break the winder. Tell me how you did yours.

I forced the bobbin on it was very tight. That is when I decided it was easier using my sewing machine to wind my bobbins. I have a designer I by Husqvarna. Sorry don't have a good solution

PatriceJ, thanks for the comment on "getting things out of your system". I needed that today. It's amazing how many small comments are made on this forum that really "hit the spot". Yours was it for me today.

I love my sidewinder especially when I have a big project going. I got mine on using the 50% discount coupon at Joann Fabrics just before they priceed them up. It takes both types of bobbin: Bernina and Pfaff.

I have a Viking SE and use the bobbin winder on my machne. I also have a Sidewinder, and my bobbins don't fit on it. I save the empty plastic prewound bobbins and use them with the Sidewinder. They work well.

Blog Entries
    I have a sidewinder as well. It is okay. I am disappointed that the thread does not wind even. It will fill more on top then even out at the bottom. But however my machine does the same thing just not as bad. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I bought one and it's my DGD favorite thing in my whole sewing room. She winds bobbins while I sew. She feels good knowing she is really helping do something. I buy the plastic bobbins at WalMart, buy the $1 spool thread and she has a blast filling them. We use the filled bobbins at guild for basting quilt tops, whatever. I use it to wind extra bobbins for my machine to keep in my sewing tote for workshops and classes. It has been worth the cost just to have DGD enjoy it. I have a plastic bin full of filled bobbins though. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is the name/make of the sidewinders everyone is using and where did you purchase it?
    BTW, You're lucky to have your granddaugher so close to you. What FUN!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeroonie
    What is the name/make of the sidewinders everyone is using and where did you purchase it?
    look at JoAnns and use the 50% coupon :)

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeroonie
    look at JoAnns and use the 50% coupon :)
    Ditto!

Mine is a sidewinder and I also have the metal bobbins but you do have a notch on the side that has to be lined up with the wire before you press down firmly. I was blessed to get mine for $12 new because of a 40% off coupon. I use it often & like it, for I much rather use it that wind on my machine. It may not matter but I feel like it is better for my sewing machines. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    I just use the bobbin winding feature on the sewing machine. While I'm winding the bobbin, I use the little "broom" and clean out the bobbin case and the area around where you put the bobbin in. I even lift the stitch plate and clean the lint out from under it. So I use the bobbin winding time to give my little machine some TLC.
    Great idea. Isn't it amazing how much fuzz piles up under the bobbin case? It kinda reminds me of belly button lint. :oops: :lol: Sorry, I thought it was time for a little humor. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :wink:

Thank you everyone...JoAnns it is! Happy quilting. :D

Blog Entries
    WalMart in my area has the SideWinder.

I have been informed that the Sidewinder does not work for the Viking Husquavarna. I guess the bobbins do not fit on the spindle. I use mine for my Elna and my Babylock and just love it. It is so handy especially for classes and if you do any thread painting, it sure helps to have those bobbins ready to switch when needed.

Blog Entries
    DH added extra weight to the inside of my Sidewinder, it made it much more stable when winding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2