Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bobbin Winders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbin-winders-t225265.html)

ccb2200 07-06-2013 01:51 PM

Bobbin Winders

I was told by someone recently that you should not use the bobbin winder on your sewing machine, that it does something to the machine. You should use a bobbin winder. I haven't looked into bobbin winders yet but this person said that a friend of theirs uses a bobbin winder that cost $125.00. Has anyone ever heard this before? And what do you think of bobbin winders?

Peckish 07-06-2013 01:55 PM

Hmmm. Was this person who told you this also trying to sell you the bobbin winder??? If it "does something" to the machine, then why are the machines designed and manufactured with this feature? Smells like horse manure to me.

CarolynMT 07-06-2013 02:05 PM

I agree with peckish, and want to further comment....there are some great bobbin winders out there for $20/30
http://www.joann.com/wrights-sidewin...te/xprd315882/

i have a fancier one that I need for winding my Long Arm bobbins cause they do not wind bobbins on the machine.

Now I will say, I use my Embroidery/Sewing combo machine to wind bobbins, it does it with a simple click rather than being run via the foot pedal. I find that the bobbins are wound more consistently and work better than the foot pedal ones. But that is me :)

And whomever told you that, they may not know there are other options.

Btw....the $100 bobbin winders that I have seen are the long arm ones that have speed control to ensure that the bobbins have perfect tension......cause with LA's it is ALL about the tension!

dunster 07-06-2013 02:27 PM

I don't think I would listen to anything that person says. Some people like to get separate bobbin winders for various reasons (such as for a longarm, or because the bobbin winder on their sewing machine is broken), but I've never heard of a bobbin winder doing "something" to a machine. Maybe sometime, somewhere, (in a galaxy far far away?) there was a sewing machine that didn't get along with its bobbin winder, and that's the cause of this advice?

ccb2200 07-06-2013 02:27 PM

The person who told me this, her friend does have a Long Arm and maybe the friend was talking about her Long Arm and not a regular sewing machine. I'm not going to pay over $100.00 for a bobbin winder. And as long as I have been sewing my machines have always ran good. Just wanted to know if anyone else heard of this. Thanks for the information. I may just buy one of the cheaper bobbin winders because it is a pain to stop and wind bobbins in the middle of a project.

mighty 07-06-2013 02:51 PM

I have bobbin winders from K-Kraft and they are wonderful. I also have the bobbin winder that came with my Babylock Crown Jewel, also wonderful. The Crown Jewel does not have a bobbin winder on the machine. I really like my bobbin winders but I do not see why you can not use the bobbin winder on your machine. I just think it is personal thing.

julie 07-06-2013 03:19 PM

I didn't have much luck using the SideWinder bobbin winder. I have a Bernina, and I can only use their bobbins, so don't know if that's the problem, but anyway, I wind all my bobbins on the machine now.

Gramie bj 07-06-2013 07:27 PM

For the past 4 years I have used a side winder from JoAnn's $25 with coupon and love, love, love, it!!! I have a 1926 singer treadle, an Elna from the 30's, Sears Kenmore from 50's, Janome from 1996 and a 2010 Tin Lizzy (Tin lizzy's bobbins will only 1/2 fill before turning off). I have never had a problem with bobbins wound on the side winder.

Nammie to 7 07-06-2013 07:31 PM

I've sewn for years and always used the bobbin winder on my machine. Never had an issue!

donnalynett 07-06-2013 09:25 PM

The SideWinder bobbin winder will not work if you have a Viking machine. I've been using my machines to wind bobbins for over 50 years and have several brands of machines and I've never had a problem.