View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Default Vintage top is now quilted

Last December I posted pictures of two vintage quilt tops that I received from the guild's free table. I believe these quilts were made from fabric from the 1930's, but if someone has more information about that I would love to hear it. I finally got around to working on the 8-sided star top. The seam allowances were very small throughout the quilt, and as a result many of the seams were open. The fabrics seemed to be thin and worn in many places, probably an indication that the top had been made from well-used clothing. Only one block contained a fabric (I think it was taffeta) that was so deteriorated that it had to be replaced. The construction of the top made me think that perhaps it was made by a new quilter since the blocks weren't square. It wasn't worth the time for me to attempt a real restoration (and anyway I don't have the knowledge or skill), but I thought this pretty little top needed to become a quilt. So I repaired some of the seams from the back and others from the front with a satin stitch. For quilting, I decided that a fairly dense swirl pattern would be necessary to hold the remaining seams together, even though it wasn't really appropriate for when the top was made. I used Warm and White batting and a good quality bleached muslin for backing. Here is the result.
Attached Thumbnails vintage-001.jpg   vintage-003.jpg   vintage-009.jpg