Thread: ideas please.
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 AM
quiltyjax

Default ideas please.

Hi - I know if anyone can then you guys can come up with ideas for a small group of young sewing enthusiasts.

This morning I received a text from my 12 year grandaughter inviting me to her lunch time group on Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtimes at school. "Grandma, I was telling my friends that you were coming in September and that you were a quilter. We all said that we would love you to come and do some sewing things with us." Isn't that lovely - I was thrilled.

After a few more texts I find out there's 9-12 of them, al 12 - 13yrs, and mostly do small craft items that they can achieve in 2 or 3 ½ hour sessions. They do all sorts in this little group that they started in January as newbies in a girls high school, mostly teaching each other something they know how to do. All they've done sewing wise was make poppies - a red yoyo with a black button .

Off the top of my head I've come up with pipkin purses, woven hearts, mug-rugs, and 3D flowers - any other ideas?
They'll sew by hand but Siān says we could take in our machine. (I keep an old Janome at their house)

I live in North Wales, UK and my family near Canberra in Australia. Can't wait to see my family but now I have the added privilege of passing on a love of sewing/quilting to young girls who want to learn. Think I might have to chuck a few things out the suitcase and take part of my stash with me!!

Over to you now - any ideas? Thank you in anticipation.