Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ideas please.

ideas please.

Hi - I know if anyone can then you guys can come up with ideas for a small group of young sewing enthusiasts.

This morning I received a text from my 12 year grandaughter inviting me to her lunch time group on Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtimes at school. "Grandma, I was telling my friends that you were coming in September and that you were a quilter. We all said that we would love you to come and do some sewing things with us." Isn't that lovely - I was thrilled.

After a few more texts I find out there's 9-12 of them, al 12 - 13yrs, and mostly do small craft items that they can achieve in 2 or 3 ½ hour sessions. They do all sorts in this little group that they started in January as newbies in a girls high school, mostly teaching each other something they know how to do. All they've done sewing wise was make poppies - a red yoyo with a black button .

Off the top of my head I've come up with pipkin purses, woven hearts, mug-rugs, and 3D flowers - any other ideas?
    They'll sew by hand but Siān says we could take in our machine. (I keep an old Janome at their house)

I live in North Wales, UK and my family near Canberra in Australia. Can't wait to see my family but now I have the added privilege of passing on a love of sewing/quilting to young girls who want to learn. Think I might have to chuck a few things out the suitcase and take part of my stash with me!!

Over to you now - any ideas? Thank you in anticipation.
    There is nothing you can do to make God love you more and nothing you can do to make Him love you less.

How about those easy tissue holders? Those could be done by hand or machine. They only take minutes each so maybe they'd like to make their moms one as well.

Because they do mostly hand sewing how about something with hexi's so they can keep working on it when not in group. Some hand applique would be fun too :-) I think its great that you will be able to share with your grand's that is awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtree View Post
    Because they do mostly hand sewing how about something with hexi's so they can keep working on it when not in group. Some hand applique would be fun too :-) I think its great that you will be able to share with your grand's that is awesome!!
    I agree with Plumtree - I was going to suggest that as well!!

Oh - and have a great time planning this - I hope your trip is fantastic.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I've been teaching my 10 year old granddaughter to sew. I told her she needed to learn hand sewing before she could use a sewing machine. Here are a few things I found when searching for ideas.

http://www.lovetosew.com/freepatternscraftsforkids.htm - string of hearts and beads; heart pillow
    http://missyballance.typepad.com/cra...pillow_tu.html - four patch pillow with pocket for stuffed bunnies. Pattern for the bunny is included. Cute!
    http://spoonful.com/crafts/flower-power – felt flowers. Quick and easy and can be used for many things. She made a hair clip.

Since your group of girls know how to make yo yo’s, show them what can be made with them:
    http://spoonful.com/crafts/squash-softies - mini pumpkins. We made these. Adorable!
    http://zakkalife.blogspot.com/2009/0...-bracelet.html - bracelet

Blog Entries
    I don't have any ideas for you I'm sure you will get plenty from here. Have a great time on your visit and I hope you will have time to visit Floriade (14 September – 13 October http://www.floriadeaustralia.com/ ) while you are close to Canberra
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

If you can arrange to have a couple of sewing machines, pillowcases would be fun and easy.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

A single large quilt block that could be made into a pillow ~16" or 12" plus 2" border around it.

Maybe a friendship star, or even a large 9 patch. If you want to do hexies, check out the sizes of round pillow forms and then choose the size of the hexies.

http://erinerickson.com/2011/11/circ...ouch-tutorial/

Instead of a zipper, you could overlap the opening (like when doing the back of a pillow cover). You could use those small velcro dots, or snaps to close the opening. They could hand sew those on. You could also make it square. It might be easier for those that might not have sewn before. No matter what you make, it sounds like fun!! Good luck.

My 13 year old granddaughter made lots of flannel PJ bottoms for her family when she visited me this year. They are an easy project that can be made in lots of crazy colors. The most fun she had sewing was making hair scrunchies for herself and her sister. She went through all my stash and must have made 25 of them, all remarkable colors. All the materials needed were fabric and elastic ( they were sewn on my machine).
    Mary

Assuming you have limited time, and not knowing the sklll level of the kids, I'd suggest a 4 patches to make either a set of pot holders or place mats. Quick, easy and useful.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Can or bottle coozies
    cell phone covers
    notebook/composition book covers
    hair grippers for long hair
    cosmetic bag for their purse
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

cathedral window

Blog Entries
    What about cell phone purses or I pad covers.you could make up kits with fabrics that girls around her age are into.good luck and make us proud.the future QUILTERS of the world are in your hands! Oh and what about pillow cases.there is an easy you tube video.takes 1 tar of fabric total and would zip up on sewing machine in 2 seams!

If they want to do some hand stitching one thing that is popular in my area is to take a panel and embellish it with embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, buttons, beads, etc.

Making pillowcases is very easy to teach to non-sewers if you have access to 2 or 3 more machines and pre-cut kits. Since they can handsew- perhaps teach them tracing, fusing, and buttonhole applique onto pillowcases, tote bags, or T shirts? Embellish with hexies, embroidery, buttons and yo yo's, gathered lace? Nammie's idea of embellishing panels or fabric is very good also. Maybe iron on embroidery patterns? Sure wish I lived closer- it's such Fun to help kids catch the crafting bug.

Blog Entries
    Take a finished quilt so that they can see a future project.

Blog Entries
    yo-yo's are a good hand-sewing project

Blog Entries
    The simple stem stitch with embroidery floss for red work BUT use bright colors instead and Google Images or coloring pages for subjects. Putting hand sewn "stuff" on clothing that they wear to dress it up.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Angie's Bits 'n Pieces has a pattern for a hexie basket that I would think the girls would love to do. It is easy and they would end up with a little basket to keep treasures in. Hexies are easy and so much fun. Be safe and enjoy the delight in sharing your talent with young future quilters.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Blog Entries
    Hi! What a wonderful opportunity for you and your GD. It is in MHO that you have them do a "quilt" project. If possible, pick out an easy block MSQ 10-minute block. Bring each student a packet with all the pieces pre cut and a finished example. I like the idea of making it a size that may be used for a pillow. Otherwise, bring some pretty clips and let them hang them. Perhaps instructions of "finishing the project on their own, i.e. pillow backing or batting cut to size and backing.) Good luck and have a wonderful day with the children and your family. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

lbc
    I love the pillow case idea if there are any machines available. If you don't have the pattern that uses the french seams send me a pm and I will send it to you.

Blog Entries
    Yesterday at my LQS I saw the cutest thing....pincushions made from tiny clay flowerpots, painted in bright colors, filled with cotton or batting, and topped with a small piece of floral print fabric (a charm would be big enough). I imagine the person used a hot glue gun to secure the fabric to the pot. Add a couple of flower-head pins and you have an adorable pin cushion those girls could use for years to come. If time is an issue, you could spray paint the pots in advance, or even leave them the original terra cotta color. Good luck!
    Create with joy in your heart!

Blog Entries
    I think cathedral windows are a cute start. They can be used for small purses or jean patches. Just any jean applique patches would be cute. The girls could start a new fashion trend.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

You're going to have more fun than they are! What a wonderful way to share your knowledge. There may be a future art quilter in the group. Anything is better than sitting with their noses stuck in a video game, etc. Go for it there are lots of ideas offered here.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast