View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM
CanoePam

I don't bring sewing on a trip less than a week, but i do bring things on 2 week trips. I have pieced two (very simple) quilt tops while camping. I bought a little Featherweight machine since it was so easy to carry. I have a bag originally designed for tools that I use for the machine, rotary cutter, thread, needles, etc. I put a cutting mat under the bed mattress for travel. I pre-cut what I need mostly though. The projects go into a plastic bag. Not hard to carry and store the tool bag and the fabric bag in the camper. I already keep a small iron and folding ironing board in the camper. I just set up on the little table inside when it is rainy or extra cold, particularly at night.

I also have a handcrank Singer 99 that I will be taking on trips without electricity since we live near a great desert area. So far no full quilts, but I have used it for a number of blocks. I find the biggest issue is just swapping between machines and getting consistent seam widths, so I try to finish a quilt on one machine.

Pam