Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a camping trip? >

Quilting on a camping trip?

Quilting on a camping trip?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I think that too many electronics detract from the tent-camping experience. It's a good time to relax with some hand-work though.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM

To the people who do take sewing machines camping: Where do you store the machine where it's out of the way, do you sew on the little dinette table inside when weather is bad, do you take a supplemental light? I'm doing hand work now, but want to bring my little machine when we come back after Christmas. Thanks for all comments.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:16 PM

My sewing machine fits in a bottom cupboard across from end of the bed. I cannot reach it unless we put out the slideout (which we always do). I do have an IKEA gooseneck lamp that I can pinpoint where I want it, and yes, I sew on my dinette table. I have a buffet right next to the table, so I can easily move the sewing machine to the buffet top when I want to eat at the table.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks, JeanieG. You answered my questions.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM

I've taken handwork on a tent camping trip, sewing down the back of the binding on a baby quilt. I did just recently take a sewing machine on a vacation trip. Hubby was sent to take a class in Florida. Now in Oregon we are already grey and colder so, I took the time off to go along. It was about 30 miles out of Orlando but I did not have transportation for the 5 days. I found a LQS within walking distance and went to take a class one day.

I packed my smallest portable machine, my vintage Elna Lotus, into my carry-on bag. I also took a quilt project that was already cut out. My 12"X18" cutting fit inside the bag. I packed my rotary cutter, scissors, seam ripper and machine needles into the one checked bag hubby was taking. No problem taking the machine with me on the plane, but I had to take it out to go through security. I didn't take an iron as the hotel room had one. I got quite a bit of sewing done in the mornings in the hotel room, alternating with sitting by the pool (with my kindle) in the afternoons.

We're hoping to get a camp trailer in the next few years, so we can go year round instead of just tent camping in the summer. Once we do, I probably make room for the same items, plus my small portable iron and pad.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM

It's fun to take sewing and quilting items on vacation since our vacation is 4 months. I will go to the lqs and do some classes and give a class. Take all that is needed to do 1 project of my own then get what I need there for classes. Have fun and enjoy quilting.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 PM

I take my sewing machine and work as normal while staying in my caravan.i am on my own so at night or wet days I spend time sewing or reading. If I use a site with no electric take my hand crank machine. I also love hand sewing so I have a real mixture.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I think that too many electronics detract from the tent-camping experience. It's a good time to relax with some hand-work though.
I agree. Our camping (in a tent) is usually done during road trips. I like to knit while we drive, or early morning when I am the only one awake. This seems to be the only time I knit now and I enjoy the break from my usual electronics and activities. I have worked on quilting projects when staying at a cabin but only when nothing else is happening.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 AM

I haven't camped in years...getting "too old" I guess for tent camping. LOL But IF I were still camping, you bet I'd bring a small machine with me. I bring hand projects when we go on vacation now. Will be moving a small, inexpensive (but works great) machine to our new vacation home. Can't live without a machine...I could always hand piece, but am horrible at it! Great thread, btw.

Remember the old adage: if you don't bring (have) it, you will want it. If you do bring (have) it, you will never use it. I'd err on the side of caution and bring it! Also, small mat, cutter, scissors, needles, thread (black and white or grey - goes with anything), ripper, pins, extra bobbins, travel/craft iron and pressing mat. All these things should fit into a small plastic tub or tote. Do not unpack this at home and it will always be ready to go, replenish items as needed.

Everyone who's traveling...Safe Voyage!

Anita