Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a camping trip? >

Quilting on a camping trip?

Quilting on a camping trip?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 AM

Thank you Everyone for your fabulous ideas and support! I am happy to say that I have been doing both English paper piecing and just purchase a little Janome just for the RV! I never would have thought it was that easy! Love the suggestions of having everything precut and organized ahead of time! Thank you again everyone
-Connie
Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 AM

I wouldn't be able to do it. Like gardening, camping seems to bring out my inner Pigpen! I manage to get dirty just looking at the garden or a campfire! My project would wind up grubby, I'm afraid.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM

We're gone for 4 months in the winter. I have always sewn so I start getting things ready in October to go into the trailer. I have plastic boxes for everything and they stack. I have a 3 drawer cabinet with thread and other notions in it. My long rulers and cutting mats are stored under the mattress. When we get to the park I then hang things in my corner where I sew. If I have anything large to work on I can go to the lqs. and use the larger tables there. Enjoy your camping and quilting I do.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM

I always have hand applique projects to take while traveling and when we are camping. Applique is so relaxing and I get lots done when we are out and about. It takes up less room and more peaceful to me than using a sewing machine when camping.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I would NEVER consider it. There are too many fun things to do when you go camping. Places to hike, beautiful scenery to see. Not to say that I have stopped at quilt stores to see what the LQS has. Unless you are camping in your backyard, then I would probably run an extension cord and be sewing away under the stars !!! HAVE FUN. Life is short enough as it is !! Have FUN and ENJOY!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

DH and I go semi camping in a rented cabin or lodge. We hike and sightsee during the day and in the evenings I sew. I take a Singer Featherweight and a pre cuts.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I ALWAYS have some kind of sewing/quilting project when we go camping, even just for a weekend trip! Usually I will take some kind of hand sewing, appliqué or hexies. But sometimes I will have a project that requires a sewing machine and I will bring along a small sewing machine. I just found a more modern version of a featherweight at Goodwill for $7.50. It is a cute little thing and I plan on just leaving that in the fifth wheel all the time during camping season. Having a quilting project is great for rainy days, or outside sitting around the campsite. We don't do campfires due to my asthma, so I don't have to worry about smokey smelling projects. I love combining camping and quilting! I will be watching for you camping and quilting around Ohio!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I used to. I took hand quilting projects or a small electric sewing machine and precut pieces of fabric. My problem was the other 9 campers that needed me all the time. Take something that doesn't take too much thinking. A small iron, rotary cutter, extra needle, pins, rulers, cutting board and ironing board are nice too. Just don't be like me and forget your piecing foot or like an other person the pedal to your sewing machine. I put the whole project in a shoe box sized plastic box.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM

I hope to take some quilting or hand sewing when we go camping next summer. I wanted to this summer but just couldn't find the time. I am the main chef, maid, nurse, etc. for our family. I think I am going to spend some time this winter getting some sewing things set up for our travel trailer and pop-up. I would love to be able to sew while the grandkids are playing or DH is off fishing or hiking.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Boy, I'm excited to read this thread. We are camping right now, on our way to Florida. Yep, we're snow birds. I chose not to bring my small machine with me, couldn't think where I would be able to store it out of the way, and couldn't see myself sewing on the little table. Last year it was too cold to sew outside the whole time we were down there. I did bring some hand work to finish off Christmas gifts. Next time I will pack my little machine! Thanks for all the info.