View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Skyangel

I've taken handwork on a tent camping trip, sewing down the back of the binding on a baby quilt. I did just recently take a sewing machine on a vacation trip. Hubby was sent to take a class in Florida. Now in Oregon we are already grey and colder so, I took the time off to go along. It was about 30 miles out of Orlando but I did not have transportation for the 5 days. I found a LQS within walking distance and went to take a class one day.

I packed my smallest portable machine, my vintage Elna Lotus, into my carry-on bag. I also took a quilt project that was already cut out. My 12"X18" cutting fit inside the bag. I packed my rotary cutter, scissors, seam ripper and machine needles into the one checked bag hubby was taking. No problem taking the machine with me on the plane, but I had to take it out to go through security. I didn't take an iron as the hotel room had one. I got quite a bit of sewing done in the mornings in the hotel room, alternating with sitting by the pool (with my kindle) in the afternoons.

We're hoping to get a camp trailer in the next few years, so we can go year round instead of just tent camping in the summer. Once we do, I probably make room for the same items, plus my small portable iron and pad.