Old 08-03-2013, 05:42 AM
Macybaby

1945 Singer 66-18 Wrinkle finish, "black side"

Black side refers to Singer's indiscriminate use of darkened metal instead of nickel finish. I say "indiscriminate" because there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to when they would be used. You'll find machines with a mix and match of black and nickle parts -even the attachments are this way. It seems they did this at the same time they tried the wrinkle (also called "godzilla) finish, but the two didn't always go together. I am working on converting as much of the nickel on this machine to the black style.

This cabinet has been fully restored (#41 variation) - I use Minwax's antique oil hand applied to get a soft finish similar to the original. This is the only cabinet I have not found a matching stool for yet.

Got a surprise when I opened this up - DH never put the motor and light back on! The foot pedal also has the wrinkle finish. So far, the consensus is that Singer never made a flywheel/bobbin winder assembly with the wrinkle finish. The drawings in the manual show a Wrinkle finish machine with a japanned flywheel.

This machine has the back tack and new style bobbin winder.

This also had a black pressure foot lever and back cover plate and screw.